[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
  2. oceansalt

oceansalt MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2017
    I sometimes need Edge and use it as Portable (My main web browser is Cent Browser because it supports DisableDirectWrite).
    Edge always downloads the "EdgeUpdate" to "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate" and "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate" folders in the background.
    I looked for a command-line switch or a Registry entry that would never install EdgeUpdate. I couldn't it. Is it available?

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You don't need any "command line switches" or registry tweak. Everything is much simple - it means simply delete Edge Updater if it has been mistakenly installed.
    Edge updater is a standalone program and does not need to be installed if you do not want to. In this case, Edge will never install any updates, that is, Edge will never update automatically.
    You said you have a portable Edge and you're talking about auto-renewal. No portable program updates itself automatically. Even less, none Chrome-based browser automatically updates itself if it's not installed in the exact folder intended by producer.
    At this moment Edge Stable must be installed in
    %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application
    and all other versions in
    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\ folder and then the folder name depens on version, ie Beta, Dev and Canary have different folder names in the same plce.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I haven't checked but it's on my short TODO list
    (reason why I don't personally care about LCU breakage is that I've been using in-place upgrades instead of automatic updates)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. carphedon

carphedon MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2015
    #2786 carphedon, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Removing edge always worked without problems but from 20H1 and up removing edge breaks updates. Error 0x800f081f.

*Installing update from Microsoft update catalog also failes

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Unfortunately, can't understand what chemistry You have there and what You do at all.
    Here's the latest Canary for You, try it.
    But I recommend removing all this old chemistry before trying.
    Otherways there may begin any kind of weird reactions with this old chemistry.
    The link is on your profile page

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @oceansalt
    Exactly as long as You'll get these updates as You don't remove Edge Updater from your computer. Well, once again, I stressed that to remove all the old chemistry from your computer, but you still desperately refuse to do so. Why, cannot understand.
    Once again, clean your computer of all unnecessary junk files, including all Microsoft Edge old and useless auto-updaters and do not install them again if You don't need them. If You forgot - Edge updaters are separate programs and not mandatory to install, not mandatory to have at all.
    Why You don't do that?
    Sorry, but I don't bother to repeat it to you no more.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Is there an Edge setting that mirrors Firefox when you attempt to close a window that has multiple tabs open (warning about closing multiple tabs)?

9. AstonSmith

AstonSmith MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    That's the problem @oceansalt is having, though. He isn't installing or keeping the Edge updater. The portable version is downloading and installing the updater behind his back using the "Edge Improved Recovery" component.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    • Of course, it does not do that and also has never done so.
    • In addition, it's up to you to decide which scheduled work or tasks is allowed on your computer and which programs and services start automatically with Windows.
    • If you're using a portable Edge, there's no way at all for it to update anything automatically.
    • And the automatic updater will only get on your computer if you personally install it there. Again, it's optional, and if you haven't installed it yourself, you don't have it.
    • However, if it is already installed, you will need to remove it manually
    • (including cleaning the registry and deleting sheduled tasks), there is no other option. There is no button to uninstall Edge updater, it's also the same with Chrome.

PS Google Chrome Browser officially released on September 2, 2008 and since then the update method has not changed.

11. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
  12. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I have the weirdest glitch. I have black borders around certain elements. While in options they will go away after a while, in download manager it appears every time I open it.
    Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-09 125528.png Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-09 125549.png Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-09 125604.png
    I couldn't find anything about this on the web. Even more weirdly it only happens on my PC (nVidia). Edge on my work laptop (Intel) is unaffected, as well as on our family's PC (AMD). I tried to close every app in sys tray, but it didn't help.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Is this a problem with the Edge only or elsewhere?
    What is a computer and what version of the browser is installed?