"Microsoft heads “To the Cloud!” to destroy Windows 8 piracy"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TheSkaffer, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This article contains no real info and there is no investigation made.

"With the latest Windows 8 build (8064) that has been delivered to Intel, it’s clear that the company is taking strides to make sure that its upcoming OS isn’t quit so easy to pirate."

What is clear and to whom?

The quality of this article makes me say that the author has no clue at all about activation. He doesn't address the current method. And I am sure he don't know anything about OA3.0.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Hmm, and if you guys were to write a similar article?

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Personally, I wouldn't. Not unless I had solid evidence to support it. Otherwise it does more harm than good ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Having said that what do you think Yen, will there be a crack for Windows 8 as soon as it releases or might take time (As no software till date is uncrackable) or MS will hit hard on piracy with Win 8 ? :bash: :throw:

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #6 Shenj, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    If OEM Activation is kind of the same mechanic als the current one, then W8 will be "cracked" when OEM Hardware is released so ppl dump Slic 2.2/3.0 whateer they will call it and extract der cert and key
    But Microsoft could make this alot harder, for example: SLP keys are like MAK ones, (they wont show up as valid key in registry), they also could Encrypt the Cert with a hash of the SLP key and the hardware ID
    = alot harder to get valid SLP Key/Cert ~(but this probably won't happen)~

Windows piracy is a two edged sword, its billion of revenue lost for microsoft, but more ppl using windows = more market share = higher stocks :roflmao:

7. JUD

JUD MDL Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Yup that's right..MS would like to see Windows on every possible system and get more market share as you said :D so MS killing piracy would be like putting axe on its own feet..but Then MS will try pretend as though its making piracy harder but on the other hand try to be little tolerant towards pirates :hug2:

8. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #8 CODYQX4, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    +1 Yen, I hope Apple and M$ will lose a lot of market share. And one day my dream come true. Open source OS for everybody's needs. Exactly what this world needs!

11. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Even a chip can be thwarted with device emulation. Makes it harder yes, but not impossible.

12. Andeangrass

Andeangrass MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2011
    If MS,was less arrogant and admit,compensate the "flop" that was Vista or hasta la Vista sick puppy,then drop the prices of MS-OS then I might
    think of not using "Reverse Engineering" allias Pirating or what ever.
    What else is left for any crafty geek or guru,try it is not?.
    By the way,does MS ever told us of any built in OS including antivirus,antimalware,anti,anti,never,a la Apple,eh,oh,ah,uh,oops,yes different
    arquitecture,I believe the day that MS eats humble pie,I may think that pigs fly.

13. andykn

andykn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Wasn't there a blog post a while ago from a Microsoftie saying they didn't care about the likes of us pirating the odd copy but those who sell pirated stuff was their concern.

14. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #14 CODYQX4, Aug 31, 2011

15. chevell

chevell MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near as easily hacked as Windows 7. This is my opinion and thats what forums are about. There are many here who already agree.

I can only hope it's possible but I'm pretty sure Msoft has a few tricks left.

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Open source isn't really answer when it comes to OS. For power users etc its fine, but Linux just has too many variables and not as easy to set up as other OS's. Even with the 'easier' versions, there are too many variations between the different options.

The only real solution to this is to have one version, but then that somewhat defeats the purpose! I'm not saying that Linux is at all bad or anything, just you need some uniformity, and not so many choices to confuse the 'ordinary' person :)

Has anyone here heard of the SKA telescope? the amount of data passing to that will be equal to all the worlds current internet traffic (bittorrenting etc included), and will require a supercomputer so fast it hasn't been invented yet. Wonder what OS base they'll use for that?! - it may be a completely new one, who knows? and who knows whether that will funnel down to the typical user late as a uniform 'open source' OS?

Windows 8 won't be completely un-activable via a loader etc, just be harder. They can't make it impossible for bulk activation. There is some ways they can get around that, which I won't mention to give them ideas :D but even those are workaroundable with programming knowledge (not easy though). To staive off activation bypassing, and to get people to switch over to the new versons quicker, the easiest thing to do is just to sell it for a more reasonable cost. At the moment, the cost is a little high for a lot of people to even contemplate it.

Windows does have too many versions which just increases costs. x86 in Windows 7 should never have been an option, and definitely not in Windows 8! also instead of having Windows N as a separate printing, it should all be part of the one disk. Simplty if in a country affected by that ruling, and the country location is selected as one of those, then the ballots appear. If you choose IE, IE is already there to install without downloading. It doesn't break the court ruling and does provide some (very small) cost benefit.

Windows 'Home Basic' and 'Starter' should be just one product, Windows Home Premium/Pro should be one product and Enterprise/Ultimate should be one product... although its pretty much like that now it does simplify things.

17. Mrx47

Mrx47 MDL Addicted

Apr 6, 2011
    If the SLIC hack won't work anymore, there is always the option to delete the activation files. No activation files --> no activation. :D

18. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    I don't remember where, because it was a long long time ago. But I read a quote from Bill Gates that said something like: "Piracy make us competitive against Linux", refering to the consumer market.

19. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #19 CODYQX4, Sep 3, 2011

20. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #20 CODYQX4, Sep 3, 2011