Microsoft is helping manufacturers build Windows 10-Android tablets

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AcuraTML, Aug 22, 2015.

1. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Microsoft is helping manufacturers build Windows 10-Android tablets
    20/08/2015

HARDWARE NEWS

In 2013, Microsoft shut down attempts to switch between Windows 8 and Android, but move on two years and the company has made a full 180. It is now working with manufacturers who plan to build tablets running both Windows 10 and Android 5.0.

The change in character is in part due to Satya Nadella’s leadership, which doesn’t seem to value Windows as much as Steve Ballmer did. Instead, Nadella wants to influence Android customers to Windows by making it extremely easy to switch OS.

Microsoft has already started a program in China with Xiaomi adding Windows 10 Mobile to Android devices, and it is doing the same in the tablet world. Chinese manufacturer Teclast has launched a range of Windows 10-Android 5.0 tablets.

Having the ability to move between Windows 10 and Android 5.0 is useful, if it manages to switch OSes without taking ages. Android has more social apps, but Windows 10 is a far better platform for productivity and professional apps.

Only Chinese manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon so far, even though ASUS showed interest in building an OS swapper in 2013. We expect other smaller tablet manufacturers start importing both platforms in the near future to tablets.

Samsung, LG and Sony are unlikely to join in, at least in 2015. Having both platforms seems to be a big advantage to Microsoft, who desperately wants more tablet users.

Microsoft’s next tablet, the Surface Pro 4, will run Windows 10 only. We doubt Microsoft is going to return the favour and add Android 5.0 onto the tablet.

2. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I wonder if you could install it on some of the current x86 tablets.

3. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    They've been doing this since the Bay-trail tablets came out with Windows 8.1 with Bing and Android tablets.
    I just ordered a Chuwi Hi8 with Windows 10 + Android for less than 100USD shipped.
    Heck Microsoft Store HK sells the Chuwi Vi8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I've been following the cheap Windows tablet scene for a while as a replacement for my retired netbook platforms.
    The Hi8 should fill my needs quite well with the option to RDP to my main heavy lifter for the more intensive tasks.
    I've been also looking for a light slab of tech as the previous android only tablets that I've bought and sold were simply lacking in functionality.

The Vi8 had great reviews and the Hi8 builds on that with an updated Z3736F CPU 1920*1200 IPS screen and has W10 now so I just ordered it when it came on sale.