Microsoft is listening: The Start Menu will be back indefinitely

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. valued17

valued17 MDL Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Still few weeks before its released, I guess.

3. Al_Gore_Internet_Inventor

Mar 18, 2014
    Had Microsoft truly been listening, we'd still be running Windows 7 while they worked on something worth releasing.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Next they'll make it low-res and look like Windows 3.11
    Honestly people need to get over their childish need for the start menu.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    DeviantArt did a fairly good job recently in creating a concept look of windows 9.
    If MS can use a third party wallpaper for XP, they could do a lot worse than to look at the above concept.
    As to the start menu, it does not matter to me except for shutdown options. Wish that had been the traditional left button click.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I find the start menu in win7 cumbersome now. Click, go through programs if not pinned. IF pinned, then no different than start screen in Win8.x. I hate a ton of icons on the desktop, so that is always clean of icons. I do use it as a work bench though, so when I do anything its all on the desktop (my work bench!)

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 pisthai, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    (OP)
    That I opened that thread didn't means that I like or even need to have the start menu back! I real, I didn't! I still have one 3. party (Pokki) on one machine but used for quite some month now.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I for one did not make a judgment as to whether you wanted it back or not like as in win 7. You were only posting info.
    For me, I am honestly indifferent. For the record, in win 8.1, I do not even boot directly to desktop. In fact in recent win 8.1 update 1, I disabled the default option of booting directly to desktop. I sort of like the soothing effect of the start screen and I lose 0 seconds because of disabling booting to dekstop.

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I saw the old start button of xp/7 to help me only on shutdown/restart. So in 8 and 8.1, I have used the following options for shutdown and restart.

Created a shortcut on both desktop and start screen. The recent win 8.1 update 1 has a power button on start screen, but even then I find reaching shortcuts to be faster.

Create a shortcut on your desktop and right-click and then go to New -> Shortcut.
    2. Type shutdown /p for to shut down and shutdown /r /t 0 for reboot. Click continue.
    3. Type the required name for the shortcut and click Finish button.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This is my start screen on 8.1

Attached Files:

12. moderator

moderator MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    i love microsoft

you know what murphy78, people want a new operating system which is just like the old one.

people want newer technology but refuse to adapt, refuse to change.

have a look at this post :

it is being implied that windows 8 was unworthy of release.

definition of cribbers :

people who download office & windows from illegal torrrents.

people who use daz's & cody's inventions to activate office & windows.

people who do not pay a single buck to microsoft ever.

& then these people have the audacity to expect microsoft to " listen to them ".

hell why? why on earth will microsoft take in to consideration the views of these freeloaders.

they should be thankful that microsoft is not suing their asses to eternity.

i will not deny that i too use daz's & cody's tools, but i am not a cribber & never will be one.

13. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Its to late and this will not help 8 sales at all. And that is what they are banking on. People dissed 8 just like Vista and let me tell ya. Windows 7 users are NOT coming over to 8 no matter what they do. They have to get Windows 9 right and only then would 7 users come over.

14. moderator

moderator MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013

count me in the same league as acyuta. i am not judging you in the least pisthai.

way to go acyuta.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #18 acyuta, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    I took a screenshot in early Jan 2014 (for easy guide during any future installs) and have not refreshed it. But the order remains the same with skydrive now onedrive. Even Intel SSD toolbox has been replaced with Samsung Magician.

This is 8 and office 2013. The account pic is my wife.

Attached Files:

16. nrvpnchl

nrvpnchl MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2012
    That's too ugly... That's why people think Metro is ugly
    Here's #MyStartScreen
    Screenshot (40).jpg

17. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012