Microsoft Office reached maximum number of installs?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mothercouponer, Aug 6, 2019.

1. mothercouponer

mothercouponer MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2016
    This is a last resort post and I apologize in advance because I know it's probably in the wrong spot and is answered previously. I've spent the last several days (countless hours) trying to figure this out, but I'm just not smart enough for this forum.

My laptop crashed, I purchased and installed a SSD and got it working again. Thought I was pretty smart, at least my husband was impressed. Now I'm trying to reinstall my genuine Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010. It wants the product key for activation. When I type it in, it won't let me install since I've downloaded it too many times with my computer issues. I tried to do the call version but it says this version is no longer supported and doesn't give anywhere to call. So I then spent hours and hours looking for a workaround and tried some Google results with no success.

I remembered this forum and how much it's helped me in the past. I read many posts on how to download Microsoft Office (any year). I tried that. Tried to covert it from Retail to Volume. Then KMS activation. I don't know what any of that means or how to do it. Every attempt I've done has failed. I've tried putting the codes in a text document on my desktop and then running it as an administrator, I've tried putting links into Google and downloading them but they say there is no app associated with it to work with, I deactivated Windows Defender, I've Googled and researched until my brain is fried and my husband is laughing at not just buying a new disc.

But I want to learn, not fail. Currently I have the genuine Home and Student 2010 version uninstalled and a download of Microsoft Home 2019 that I got from a link on this website. Does that not even need to be activated? It seems to let me do stuff on it unless I want to upgrade to 365. I didn't even do the Retail to Volume conversion or KMS activation because it didn't recognize anything when I tried. I think it's just an app or something, even though it took 35 minutes to download.

Now that you know how completely untech savvy I am, please let me know if there is any hope to make this work or if this isn't something that can be done by untech savvy people like me.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for helping a frustrated mom out!

2. mothercouponer

Apr 14, 2016
    I should add, I upgraded to Windows 10 this week if that helps anything.

3. mothercouponer

Apr 14, 2016
    Deleted (posted my reply twice for some reason, sorry!)

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
  5. mothercouponer

Apr 14, 2016
  6. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Can you post a screenshot of office--about screen(the one where it mentions version number & registered to xyz,it is usually under tools/settings-help section)?

7. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    My Office 2010 professional plus (perpetual) key is still working after numerous installs.

8. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Professional Plus is corporate/enterprise version license & has much more "perpetuity" compared to retail licenses.

9. robdavwil

robdavwil MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2019
    Did you try searching for the telephone number for the microsoft automated product activation line for the country that you are in? If you find this you can try the installation ID with it even though it says it is no longer support. I have activated office 2010 in this way before in the past.