Microsoft OneNote equivalent?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by AnarethoS, Nov 1, 2013.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

I would like to know f there is any good open-source (or free) alternative to Microsoft OneNote. I use it for nearly everything (memo, meeting, studying, to-do, etc.). I use it on my laptop and my tablet (Windows 7). On my tablet, I use my pen (inking) to takes my note and convert them later to text.

I know there is Evernote, but everything must be kept in the cloud. It is a "no go" for me for security reason. I need something that keep everything locally. I will sync everything using OwnCloud.

The software should allow :
    - Multiple "books", with multiple "sections" in it
    - Inking support on Windows

It is the only software that prevent me to stop using Microsoft Office right now.

Thanks in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What about the stripped-down edition; Windows Journal??

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I have OneNote but I always use Evernote as you can easily access your notes from any computer or mobile device

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nanosani

nanosani MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    Evernote is the best alternative to OneNote. While creating new notebooks, you can always specify whether you want your notes to be on local system only or synced on the cloud.

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I saw on some web site that this option is now only availble on the paid version?

6. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Paid version has more space available online.

But it seems to be useful.

7. saurabh5647

saurabh5647 MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    There are lot of alternatives to OneNote. Nevernote is the commercial one but there are free alternatives too. Most notably of them are Tomboy, RedNotebook, Zim Desktop Wiki. All of the these free softwares are open source too.