Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jmtella, Aug 13, 2015.

1. jmtella

jmtella MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2012
  2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Kinda everyone knows that the activation for the free upgrade has changed from before it went RTM. Now it's HWID. But nice of you to post, just said this so some people don't think it's changed after the RTM and GA.

3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Nothing new. Nothing to see here. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move long. Move long.

4. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    As I see it, they still haven't figured out what to do about someone upgrading a legit RETAIL copy of 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10. Transference rights seem lost at this point.

5. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    no s**t sherlock. cuz only 10 % is legitimate users and 90 comes from warez

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    nope....ain't gonna work cuz you didn't wave your hand thru the air at the same time

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Here's what I think will happen. Just a hunch, though.

For one year the upgrade to Windows 10 from qualifying installations was free. After July 29, 2016 you will have to purchase a copy. So far so good.

But come next year, MS will announce that "Windows as a Service" will now cost $8.00 a month or some other amount. But they will probably throw in Office 365 for good measure.

What happens if you don't want to pay? Same as anything. If you don't pay, you don't get anything, and Windows either de-activates itself, or more likely will run in some crippled fashion.

So you say screw it, and go back to Win-7 and activate with Daz loader. But guess what happens now. MS took a good look around your system when you upgraded to Win-10 and they noticed that your Win-7 installation was activated by Daz Loader, and they made a note of it. And if you try to validate that system with that Hardware ID, it will not activate.

But you will probably be given the option to purchase a legit copy of Win-10 for $8.00 a month or $140 for a retail installation. And how about that "activated for the life of the machine" thing. That's why I think those that don't pay will get a crippled, or watermarked version. But it will still be activated. :rolleyes:

I know it sounds a bit far fetched, but I'll be interesting to see what happens next year about this time. ;)

8. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

You got a point and yes for sure Win 10 will be geared and slated to rent a OS and other apps sometime in 2016 and that will be big money if they do that, Apple is just about to do something like that with their app store rent or lease apps for a fee or pay as you go, for sure for the entire smartphone mainstream this project will work and also in personal computing will also be very good. (live through out the spectrum)

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I sure hope so. Then most everyone will drop windows, mobile company's will offer better deals and people will start to use phone/tablets more. Then Micro will get wise and stop the BS, return with giving more control and drop the stalking of your Internet life. :biggrin:

10. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

#10 AcuraTML, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
    get ready for rent your OS and apps is the next big deal in 2016, monthly or every 6 months or yearly stay tuned its on the workx, just supply your own hardware (just like everyone is welcomed to the party just bring your own food and drinks)

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Bill Gates spoke of "Windows as a Service" many years ago. Now, MS is going to implement it.

To Me, this liken to Cray or Amdahl getting into the personal computer market. They simply do not belong there.

This should be fun to watch. :popcorn:

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. bulldog147

bulldog147 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2009
    If Windows 10 become monthly fee of $8 for windows service - then it goodbye Windows for me!

13. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

At least some folks will be able to lease or rent a good OS and apps they wish for a limited time, Michaela

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    can't see that happening because Linux is free, always was and will be in '16 too. What M$ is really doing, is selling it's users out to advertising, it's already being done with software/apps that sends you ads to get it for free, or buy the so called software ad free. I believe we could see that type of scenario in '16 from Microsoft

15. JameandBennie

JameandBennie MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2015
    #15 JameandBennie, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    I don't see this would actually happen. they will probably increase the revenue by selling apps or service, something like that.
    but if this do happen, I think I'll need to adapt to Linux.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Google makes a giant boatload of cash on advertising, Maybe M$ thinks it can too