Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 1.0.2498.0

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Michelle68, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    It doesn't catch all viruses. Tested by me. and just try to update it,,and see how your system will slowdown like a turtle....big resource hog

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Totally agree tested also against generic malware, and high cpu usage

windsman.

4. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    True, when it comes to free AntiVirus solutions, Avira AntiVir is the only choice as it offers very good detection rates and good system performance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No virus checker can catch ALL viruses, they cant catch what is not in there definitions or database.

6. sonomazr2

sonomazr2 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Downloaded and tried to install, said I have another version and to remove first. Must be why when I do a help, program update it says I have the latest version (1.0.1963.0)

Is the new MSE a completely different framework that it can't do an inplace upgrade?
    I have never had a cpu usage/slowdown problem with the current version.

7. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    #7 Lich King, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
    However, eset, kaspersky, avira catches most of them.. our aim here is maximum protection..
    so, if an antiviruse catches maximum no. of infections as well as light on resource, we call it a good protection..

Whereas, MSE does not catches max. no. of infections like avira does (freeware).. and it uses much resources than avira (freeware)..
    So, decide wat u wanna use, and more importantly wat suits ur needs :)

8. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Very true....which is why I deleted it off my Software folder and I don't recommend it when the likes of Avira AntiVir or Avast Antivirus exist

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This version of MSE upgraded cleanly on my PC. When I clicked on exe file, it asked to upgrade, and did that in 2 secs.

10. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
  11. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    GData had the highest detection rates actually. but Avast has a good mix of detection rate, low false-positive and high speed.

12. xaudiox

xaudiox MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Or just be carefull what websites you visit ;)

13. WhiteZero

WhiteZero MDL Junior Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Even that dose not cut it now-a-days. Even legit sites are getting their ad-servers hacked and malware distributed through them.

14. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #15 CRA2YHAVOK, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Which is why people can choose to use Adblock on Firefox or Chrome :)

I personally have used MSE since beta and found it more than suitable for my needs, I use it with the Windows Firewall (did at one time have Comodo FW).

Never had any problems since using them.

I also use Chrome with the following Extensions installed: Adblock, FlashBlock & WoT).

JavaScript is set to block unless I allow it.

The only other AV I'd ever consider using is Avast (used it before MSE) but right now I'm more than happy with MSE.

15. DimRacker

DimRacker MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2010
    I think MSE is very GOOD!!

16. viewfindr

viewfindr MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2010
    Works great for me!