Microsoft Security Essentials is the $h!zn!t!!!

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Ancestor, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    I was on a quest to try out all the AV programs out there, paid trials and free....

I tried MSE and did a scan on my 2.4 GHz core 2 duo with 4 GB ram and an nvidia 1 GB 240 M GPU....took 1 hour 20 mins and it was still just scanning drive see when Avira and others did the same scan in like quarter of the time! :mad:

This POS program is outta my computer and I am now content with Avira AntiVir FTW!

2. tere112

tere112 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    NOD32 is teh best! Did you tried this?

3. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011

Yes I agree, it is the best, I used it for 5 years and never had a virus. I just don't want to spend unncessary moment at the moment when free AV programs exist such as Avira Antivirus FTW

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Never knew a really solid Anti-Virus like NOD32 would be an unnecessary expenditure lol

5. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    ok fine!!! you guys have convinved me to shell the money out again...I have been using NOD32 for 5 years earlier...I will get ESS now for a chance :(

sigh**** thanks for the suggestions

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    From what I have read, seems MSE scans archive files completely as in the scan level cant be changed in the settings. That would naturally slow things down. Also, it doesnt flag files as safe, then skip them in the next scan, and instead scans all all over again. Not a very bright thing to do, I must say.

And I've had a couple of bad experiences visiting some shady sits- MSE went bust. Only thing that save me was MBAM. Though one time I got virut and had to reformat. :eek:

7. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    i went with kaspersky internet security and bought there 3 year licence for $120 us, on a 500 gig drive doing a critical scan it only takes 5-10 minutes if you do a full scan the you go to lunch and come back later ive got 3 tera bytes that it checks, one more point on full and critical scans it rechecks all files which it should do, if you get a virus you cant tell which files it infects. :cool:

8. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #8 CRA2YHAVOK, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    The best system security is multi-layered, don't just rely on one single program to protect you, what if it fails?

MSE suits my needs just fine, I find scanning speed a non issue, just run & forget basically.

I have already mentioned somewhere else that I run secondary scanners MBAM & Hitman Pro every other day.

I also run Google Chrome with JavaScript set to disabled & build my own list of trusted sites to allow, I also use WOT & Adblock.

Sandboxie is also a good way to prevent malware from gaining access to your computer (I personally don't use it though).

:bye:

9. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    Eset pwns all AntiViruses out there :D System feels like it has no antivirus on it :D So smooth, a full scan of my 500 GB HDD took around 30 mins now as opposed to 2 hours for C: only in MSE :D

10. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
  11. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011

sufficient my a$$

12. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    @slyphnier: please, we are all aware of what reviewers have said abot MSE but what they say doesn't neccessary be how we feel about it.
    + it have low impact to system performance: tried to create a folder with 20-30 program installers in it or a 500 GB folder of movie files. Because MSE rescan every files, well, that's not exactly smooth. And even simple tasks such as browsing the web/ watching movies... do feel somewhat slower than with Eset.
    + low false positive: it quarantined 4-5 cracks that i have. Most other antivirus i tried only have 0-2 false postive exept Norton. Doesn't matter much cos crack/hack tool should be seen as suspicious but it still has the highest false positive rate. Please don't lecture me about potential risk because i know those specific files are safe.
    + not annoying like some AV does: i tried to restore and exclude the quarantined files above and the process was a pain in the a$$. Couldn't remember much why but i do remember it screwed things up.

13. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011
    You stole the words out of my mouth!

If I cared for online reviews I wouldn't be asking this question here to get some REAL WORLD advice not some review that is probably paid for by MS ot make their crappy AntiVirus seem shiny!

I understand their point, they are making it easy and simple for n00bs who don't know jack about computers or system performance who just want to feel they have an AntiVirus.

You can say anything you want, but as mrthuvi stated, it is slow, ineffecient, lots of false positive, updating it made me feel like I am installing an operating system FFS

14. bseos

bseos MDL Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Not for me. I got MSE running on 2 compuers now in favour of ESET as i cannot be ass'd updating expired licenses anymore and have had nastie pieces of code get past the other free alternative offerings such as AVG and AVIRA.

It seems that some trojans that are packed in the autorun.exe and certain install files are completely getting undetected until its too late. These sort of trojans seem to be all the rage all over usenet at the moment im afraid :(

Eset and MSE seems to detect them fine however. MSE seems to be running as smooth as ESET.. if not better :)
    And regarding MSE rescanning all your files, virsus's can inject themselves into any file, so if your av skips a file on the assumption that its been scanned before and considered safe it will not help you.

Ps: Many independent reviewers have given MSE high praise and i have to say im happy with what i've seen so far myself.
    Its unobtrusive and integrates nicely in Windows"
    As for it being Inefficient? Slow? Lots of false positives? None that i have experienced and i usually browse the minefields in the deep under belly of the interwebs and news servers.

15. Ancestor

Ancestor MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2011

This just shows you dont know what you're talking about . Thanks for the proof :)

16. bseos

bseos MDL Member

Dec 5, 2007

elaborate please

17. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I'll admit the first ever update takes a while but it does have to download & install a 60MB+ update, after that updates are quick (well under 30 seconds).

18. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    #19 slyphnier, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    you are NOD32 fans are you ^^
    for low impact to system performance in AV is for active background scanning isnt it ? well i always thought that
    because no AV that didn't take resources when scanning, its simple because the HDD itself read single file ... when HDD work at 100% you will always get perfomance impact
    thats why Quick Scan option there... which sufficient in mostcase
    actually Malwarebytes also giving quick scan, as full scan is when you aware of passive malware in your harddrive

for 2nd low false positive... the fact from tested is proved like that... so you saying NOD32 have lower false positive ?
    the basic crack itself is to crack software = bad tools

you get wrong idea about annonying here, what annoying in my opinion is something like windows UAC... as power-user you don't want get warning for many stuff you do right ?
    as for quarantine files... i don't know why you have problem with quarantined files... should be \ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Quarantine
    when suspicious file detected you get option to delete ignore or quarantine right ? ... i think most AV work also same in quarantine system

19. slyphnier

slyphnier MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    #20 slyphnier, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Well get into other forum and ASK them about MSE
    you will see the comment of "real world" you looking for
    the site i post its forum and community/organization that do test ... rather than review site that get paid for reviewing a product
    aw c'mon read carefully before post something rather make yourself sound stupid

slow on your system its might either your system outdated or something wrong in your system... rather than blaming all to MSE

anyway in computer world not any AV available give you 100% bullet proof
    well i know you have your own experience, which might bad enough
    i have bad experience with nvidia ... and i might never buy nvidia product anymore... but i didn't sucking Nvidia because it ever failed on me

so back to what i want to know... do you have prove ? that MSE quick scan is a$$?
    i don't know how many other AV provide quick scan... but malwarebytes also provide quick scan which recommended in most cases
    if you can't proves it... then just quite please