Microsoft Security Essentials + RemoveWAT issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by veilx, Apr 12, 2010.

1. veilx

veilx MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2010
    (This is my first post:biggrin:)

I'm sure plenty of people have had this problem before. I tried searching the forums, but got nothing. So, when I use RemoveWAT on a windows 7 Machine, everything seems to be working fine, except that MSE will fail to install because it fails the validation check. If I already had MSE Installed, it tells me that it will expire within 30 days.

Other programs like Windows 7 Loader won't work for me. Iv'e tried them on 4 different computers, and it always fails.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure of a workaround. You could use a much better AV like Avast! or Antivir

3. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
    I would avoid the hassle of trying to fix the MSE issue and install Avira antivirus FREE. Being using it for years without issues.

4. veilx

veilx MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2010
    #5 veilx, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. unfortunately, I wan't to continue to use MSE as my antivirus. I don't like Avast and other AV programs for the simple fact that some are Junky, annoying, or poorly built. MSE is the right one for me (No Pun intended).

@timesurfer; Thanks for the info, i'll retreat with a result after I try it.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    You could try a legit Windows licence Oh but wait - read what happened to a legit licence holder I know.

Forget MSE - I provide volunteer support to our local Community centre who have computers running licensed XP OS that M$ donated under their charity program but one has been flagged as "non-genuine" by WGA but MSE will not install on any of them as anything other than a trial.

M$ don't seem to be able to provide any sort of answer so I installed Comodo.

I could have worked around this but I didn't want to expose the centre to any potential hassles.

M$ antipiracy strikes again - at a legal user - pirates don't have these hassles.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I've been using avira free for like almost 4 years and works good but people don't like it. Maybe it's cause of the update funny pop-up avira gives...lol

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Have not used remove wat so far. However, have used daz loader (various versions) and on each activation, it always passed the MSE validation check. Presently use MSE with win 7 64 bit (activated with daz). As others have noted, you can perhaps switch to a different AV or use daz. That has worked for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    For the people telling him to "go Daz", look at his first post.

Anyway, I feel sorry for you if MSE is "the one for you" as it's genuinely terrible. Detection rates are poor, it often fails to update on my old machine, it doesnt have a very good quarantine (just locks the file and doesnt tell you for a few minutes) and is incapable of automatically dealing with malware. Avast can block malicious files AS they download, has very high detection rates, configureable behaviour, web guard, p2p guard, and so on, and it consumes little resources.

9. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    MSE is by far the best free Antivirus for Windows 7. It's light on system resources and does its job of blocking malware very well. I've never had any problems installing MSE with Win7 activated using Daz's Loader.

10. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Opinion, not fact. Feature wise its one of the worst.

11. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    here is a question for you

why dont you help troubleshoot your program\ideas instead of beating around the bush by telling him to get a different anti-virus?

12. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Who says I'm not, just for now I think that would be better...

13. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    im just saying it would be easier to download the latest version of that AV and mess around with it so in the future you do not hear about this problem lol just get it over with :p

14. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    lol again who says im not

15. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    your PM box is full....

16. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    not anymore I sent you another one lol

17. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    As I said earlier - MSE can fail to install on even a legitimate system - a legitimate system can be flagged as pirated by M$ antipiracy.

Avoid M$ programs which require validation or go legit or put up with it.

As for my 2 cents worth - MSE is nothing more than an average to below average internet security solution and with the validation hassle not worth the trouble when there are excellent alternatives out there.

18. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    got it :p:p