Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by BigCol, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    How does Microsoft Security Essentials compare to other products in the same class? Im looking for a decent antivirus and was wondering if Microsoft Security Essentials is worth looking at.

2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    MSE and Microsoft security products in general, consistently perform well on detections, few false positives, and little overhead for realtime scans. Configuration is simple, mostly set and forget.

One caveat is it will alarm about the KMS emulator used for Office 2010 "activation solutions".

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Norton 2010 is no better, consistently flags ZWT as a trojan.

I used MSE for a while and for a free antivirus its pretty good. But it does have issues- it may or may not self-update, it takes ages to start at boot (one of my older, dumber computers even declared it couldnt find any antivirus because of that delay till MSE finally showed up in the tray), its not the greatest when your machine actually gets infected, it has very little configuration options and it has that silly spynet membership. Recently I switched to VPN on one of my setups and tried updating MSE, it failed- there was no option in the settings to configure updates via proxy (VPN uses proxy), had to do a lot of R&D till found the solution.

You should try MSE and maybe along with it use the free version of MBAM. That should keep you fine.