Microsoft TechNet/MSDN keys will expire at end of subscription period

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by zfeet, Jul 3, 2012.

1. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
  2. stratagem

stratagem MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2011
    For MSDN subscribers, I read the changes as:

- reduction in keys per SKU from 10 to 5
    - keys per day goes from 55 to 10

The TechNet subscribers will get keys that expire.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not true, the key does NOT expire. It is your licence that expires:

4. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    i've had my MSDN keys expire when my account expired.

5. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    actually now the technet keys do in fact "expire"

1. Product keys The software may require a key to install or access it. Not all software is provided with the same number of keys. You are responsible for the use of any keys assigned to you. You may not resell, share, assign, or otherwise transfer keys. Key activity is monitored. Microsoft reserves the right to suspend or terminate your subscription, without any notice or obligation to you, if Microsoft detects suspicious activity related to keys or activations. Microsoft reserves the right to determine in its sole discretion whether an activity constitutes suspicious activity. Suspicious activity could include, but is not limited to, keys being activated in geographic regions that are different from the geographic location of the subscription activation or purchase, downloading of a large number of keys, and other similar activities.
      NOTICE HERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Microsoft may deactivate or otherwise limit your keys when your subscription ends. Deactivated keys will not be able to activate software.

so they can deactivate them if they want to after your year is up

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I was planning on buying a subscription in the US but I guess that is out now. Even UK (which I did for a year from Aug 2010). Those keys still work and 1-2 were activated only last week (late-July).
    I can take a chance but the amount involved for a US subscription is too much ($360) to risk.
    Basically, MS wants an annual renewal fee or they may make your software non-working on non-genuine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    can anyone for sure confirm this is in fact what will happen??? anyone with inside knowledge know if they will def be killing the keys after the sub ends?

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Who knows what they will do. There are 2 issues after expiry of subscription (a) blockage of fresh activation but prior activations working and more worryingly (b) deactivation of prior activations. The first point itself is very worrying. Just do not get a new system and new motherboard or expect to install some other MS software.

The technet forum is useless in this respect and the answers are primarily given by MS mouthpieces.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. myamar

myamar MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2009
  10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    It seems not only this expiry at the end of 1 year, but some people are reporting lower MAK activations for Enterprise. For example from 500 to 20 or roundabouts. This seems to be for new subscriptions (after 16 Jul) as well as for older ones.
    Many older keys (from 1/2 year old non-renewed subscriptions) are also supposedly not being activated though this for now seems to be for desktop OS.
    For now, my technet pro win 7 enterprise key (subscribed in 2010) has a max of 500 activations (460 last checked today). But who knows. Also some keys (such as Vista Enterprise) have been reduced from perhaps 500 to 100 (never used Vista keys).