Microsoft to Block Free Windows 10 Upgrade “Assistive Tech” Trick

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ashish.k, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ashish.k

ashish.k MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
  2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    So... And why do people look after this ms download pages if there are a lot of places where to get it from here in the forum? Example Paul's X Files and some guy can't remember (thanks already whoever it may be) has all the 1511 Esd files in the signature and an LTSB article link below

3. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Probably because doing it the MS way still allows for the upgrade to be genuine activated?

4. stylemessiah

stylemessiah MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Swaggy_McSwagSwag probably drumming up activations for them

Anyone who thinks its not there intentionally is a bit delusional, they need every activation they can get, they love the meta and other data from telemetry...well from the poor great unwashed who dont realise theyre being keylogged...

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I told y'all not to park in the blue spaces when you're perfectly capable of walking.

Nobody listened, cops got called.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jisoza

jisoza MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2011
    As I known, there is three method two install Windows 10 on a computer without digital signature
    1) If you have a valid Win7 or Win8 code, uses Win10 installer from ISO of Win10-1511 and install with this code.
    Then you can upgrade this win10 to rev 1607 (and run cleanmgr after) or do a clean install with 1607 iso

2) If you have a Win7 or Win8.1 activated (if you have not, you can install Win7SP1 then Waz loader to activate it to have one), then start upgrade from Iso of Win 10 original version (july 2015) or Win10-1511.
    Then you can upgrade this win10 to rev 1607 (and run cleanmgr after) or do a clean install with 1607 iso

3) If you have a Win7 or Win8.1 activated (if you have not, you can install Win7SP1 then Waz loader to activate it to have one), start upgrader from assistive page.
    Then you can run cleanmgr or do a clean install with 1607 iso.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Surprise, surprise! Microsoft has discovered the wheel: without verification being necessary, users are abusing the Assistive Tech procedure. I don't suppose they could have predicted this before introducing it, too much promotional smoke blocking their crystal ball view.

8. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    hopefully they close this loophole soon; then they create another webpage for free upgrade and call it hurry get this before a wall is built to stop this by you know who and users will flock once again :)

and who is the winner microsoft and their hopes to get to one billion plus devices :) most non techy users i know on win 7 don't care one bit about free upgrade like corporate users that just want something that works so they know that when they buy new hardware which they usually do every three years will get them latest OS

9. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #9 RobertJ, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Absolutely right as anyone with common sense would know, except those in this thread and elsewhere who think MS didn't predict the 'misuse'.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This provocative, albeit laughable remark clearly refers to me.

Now, we’ve already established from before that you lack reading comprehension ability. But your shortcomings go further than that, since anyone with even basic intelligence would have immediately grasped the intentional irony, in fact sarcasm, in my post. It hasn’t been edited, and it’s there for everybody to judge...and laugh at you.

Moreover, I’ve already told you to get off my back. Get yourself a life so as not to be constantly obsessed with your complexes about me.

And something that may be of interest to the owners. I had noticed that a lot of people were leaving this board and wondered why. Now I think I’ve got the answer as to who is driving them away with unprovoked attacks without even understanding what they are saying. I’m sure the owners will give you a VIP distinction for your efforts…the owners of competing boards that is.

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Normal direct iso upgrading also still establishes a valid Digital License :)

13. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #13 RobertJ, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Lol, that post was supposed to be ironic? Certainly even Enthousiast took it at face value enough to respond to it in a perfectly serious manner. Next time, perhaps tag on a /s or a smiley to signal your intent, since your words clearly don't get the job done.

Delusional, much? Or just plain egotistical to think that it's all about you?

Ah, yet more patent nonsense from someone used to whining and making baseless accusations, or maybe just the guilty conscience of someone actually responsible for driving people away. I'm sure the owners here will be taking due note.

Hot damn Bat, who is that?! :D

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It’s patently clear that it was ironic, but I did say to someone possessing basic intelligence which you lack. And it’s still there for everybody to see and judge for himself.

And as for Enthousiast’s comment, let him interpret it himself, since you can’t understand what you read, and his reply in no way seems to imply what suits you to claim, in fact quite the opposite.

As for clumsily trying to reverse the accusations, the fact is there for everybody to see, including the admins, that you are the one who launched the unprovoked attacks in both cases, while I just exercised my human right to self-defense. Don’t you even know what is happening to you?

Enough said, more than you deserve.

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    So even after the aggressive upgrade tactics and plenty of news sites covering the free upgrade period end date, there are actually a substantial amount of people still trying to get Windows 10 for free?

I'm legitimately surprised.

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Sorta like people forming a line for Black Friday, on Sunday at Walmart :D

17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I have, sitting in the file cabinet next to me, over 50 legitimate Microsoft licenses beginning with office 97 and Windows XP SP0. My daughter's family missed out on the free upgrade offer because they just never responded to my queries about doing the upgrade. Now they wonder how to do it. That's like closing the gate after the cows get out.

Looks like to me if they now want Windows 10, they have to pay for it. I've paid in the past (many licenses for them), I still buy licenses, I contribute to Linux Mint and other open source areas and I have no problem with that.

I've just never had a problem buying what I needed. Free is nice, but it you're always looking for the free stuff in life, you may be looking for a very long time. As is the usual case, YMMV.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I find that kind of interesting. I have no experience with the nagging Windows did in order to get the update pushed out to 7 and 8.1 users, but from what I hear, it was pretty hard to avoid it (seems like basically even ignoring the prompt would land you on W10 at some point).

19. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    Yup, it is indeed, and naturally if you had a shred of intelligence you'd know your irony from sarcasm and how to better express each unambiguously.

The only facts at hand are your pathetic accusations without a shred of proof about the reasons for some of your fellow whiners to leave this board for greener pastures, where perhaps their stupidity is better tolerated. Good riddance to bad rubbish, and one can only hope that others of their kind will join them soon.

20. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    Given how easy it is to image systems (I'm sure you could've helped them with it) or to use the 30-day rollback option, I have no sympathy for those crying over spilt milk, or worse, blaming MS (yes, there are such people out there) for their own inaction during the whole past year and more.

I wish MS had turned off their free upgrade activations immediately after the announced deadline, or had kept the offer going (but made it completely optional) instead of saying something but doing something else entirely.

Completely agree with you. Moreover, nothing's truly free anyway, since either you pay for it or someone else does. Even free software represents a real investment of time, money, energy etc. by the developer(s).