Microsoft to phase out support for older versions of Internet Explorer (Jan 2016)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JP2015, Jan 10, 2016.

1. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Millions of consumers have still not upgraded to Internet Explorer 11 or up, all of whom may be at great digital risk by the move

Are you using an old version of Internet Explorer? Now is the time to upgrade or switch to another browser because Microsoft is phasing out support for Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 on Jan. 12.

The shift will basically mean the end of security updates and technical help for versions of Internet Explorer other than 11, the latest iteration. That could leave users clinging to the old versions more vulnerable to cyberattacks against their computers because problems with the software that are discovered down the line won’t be fixed.

There are a few exceptions: For example, Microsoft will continue to provide support for Internet Explorer 9 on its older Windows Vista after the deadline because it’s the latest compatible version for that operating system. But for the most part, users of old browsers will be on their own.

The shift will have a major impact on Internet users: By some estimates that means hundreds of millions of users will need to upgrade or be left at greater digital risk.

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  3. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I hear you I am also on Opera and love it also " but I still use IE 11 for mostly network internal swaps and drops and IE 11 and 10 is the only browser that only works and logs into change point enterprise app with that said IE 10 and 11 will be part of my life still for many years or at least my lifetime just regarding some network apps don't get along with any other browser

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I find your reply odd.

I've never seen or heard of anyone tell me they needed to use IE (Internet Explorer) based upon their network adaptor or network apps. :confused:

Sucks to be you. :p

5. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Look up change point Corp they only are geared for IE no other browser and plus change point is the leader for network software and apps in the entire world in getting things done fast and right the first time...

God, there are a few around who just don't use the Internet and windows to surf and Facebook and download everything from a to z primarily you know ; )

A few like me wish I had the time to have a break and surf all day and night long

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #6 GOD666, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    :rolleyes: I work IT too. Still not buying what you're saying, but OK.

Maybe I've been very lucky not to live in an IE only dependent world. The vast majority of corporate networking has and still does run on LINUX (which excludes IE)

7. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Yea that's more like it God, there are very complex network tools that are only pushed for that purpose within the IE field in like likes of change point and another Corp called Compuware that also is all IE geared and both of these two giants run your GM and Ford and major power c operations around the globe and Compuware is the primary tender for global your Walmart and Costco and Shell
    And hundreds of others

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #8 GOD666, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    You and I are clearly from different worlds and your side is playing catch up. Our Walmart no longer use Windows here. Wherever you are, you're in for a surprise in 2 or 3 years time.

9. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I am in total agreement with you statement God regarding the big picture ;) hands down and perhaps sooner I give it till 2017 before the RIP for desktops come to be pretty much played out and the inalienable end for the computing you and I and everyone knows it and known it

10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    IE9 still supported on Vista SP2
    IE10 still supported on Server 2012

Opera Presto still my man

11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #11 pf100, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    You can run IE on linux.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    in wine and/or :tasty:vm

13. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I hope MS will not phase out support IE11 one day.

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #15 GOD666, Jan 11, 2016
    The Opera Browser before the switch to using Chromium Code (Engine), I didn't exactly like and it didn't always work on every website. Unlike the current Opera which works everywhere and is compatible with everything.

The slim down design that Vivaldi seems to want to avoid is why they'll fail (in my opinion). People want their browser to use as little resources as possible, be a fast as possible, and yet be as customizable as possible (extensions, themes). Building a lot of stuff into the core is going to go in the exact opposite of that trend.

Opera abandoned all that for a reason. The new version which is built off of Chromium works on any OS, any device, and works on any website. It is light, fast, and customizable. It has everything people like about Google Chrome, but without Google spying on you, which surprisingly makes it even lighter and faster.

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

The real Opera was (and mostly still is) the best browser ever, by a large margin.

Especially on latest v11/v12 versions the compatibility issues were more urban legends than real problems.

Opium is a decent browser but lacks a good part of the real Opera features

Vivaldi isn't surely perfect, because it's still young, because the relatively limited resources of the Vivaldi company, but it's main defect comes from the chromium engines, which btw was a forced choice nowadays.

But aside that they did marvels. Just like a great cook that serve a great dish starting just with an hamburger and some fried chips provided by MacDonalds.

Opera (the company) did that because the new shareholders were blinded by the easy money made by google, apple, Microsoft at the expenses of the user's privacy and safety.

An incredibly dumb move, given they deluded the smart historical user base failing (obviously) to attract a significant part of the flock stuck with explorer or chrome.

Yes, as I said Opium is a good browser, way better than explorer, edge, firefox, chrome and whatever, but it's just the shadow of Opera.

Vivaldi (but also some independent projects like Otter) are way way better in almost any aspect.

16. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Time will tell, as things are looking at this time yes IE 11 will get crushed and removed also from the market down the road, " seems everyone is heading to the tablet and smartphone world for money and where all the action is and has been for the last 5 years "

Yes I believe clearly the time has come where Windows are we all know it will be, " sooner then later put to bed " in a year or two max

RIP Desktop

JP2016

17. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    RIP Desktop?? I don't believe that at all. When I see a tablet that can offer a 3.3 GHZ mobile processor with 32GB of RAM and an x86/x64 instruction set (My current desktop / DAW system) I'll consider switching.
    Until then, tablets and mobile products will have their own arena and desktops will have theirs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #19 JP2015, Jan 11, 2016
    (OP)
    Well, Michaela

Go talk to someone in management at Intel Corp, or ASUS, Gibabite, Kingston,

These groups will no longer be building desktop and workstation hardware commencing in the 1st or 2nd quarter of year 2017 and regarding support it will be all phased out not long before 2020
    stay tuned...

Michaela the glass is almost empty and no new capital will be thrown in a market that is 99.9% hitting the end of its chapter...

Read up more if you wish about this topic in your local Forbes or Biz Insider sections ;)

Tablets and Smartphone hardware is 90% cheaper and the roll off is 100% faster to push into the market, just as anyone who works or is in management in Android the King of the Hill and from here going forward " money money" money " is what everything is benchmarked for look at your Wonderful Windows 10 OS 90% geared for Smartphone use right out of the box with Android frame work ready to be patched at any given time and presto you got your self a Android Windows OS for most tablets in the market and some smartphones that can be sideloaded in a heart beat

Enjoy and thanks for your comment...

JP2015

19. giantaxe

giantaxe MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    #20 giantaxe, Jan 11, 2016
    1. intel doesn't make workstations to begin with, they never even did. they supply the hardware for them only
    2. atleast come with real workstation / enterprise oriented companies. like HP, Packerd Bell and Fujitsu. most of the workstations in enterprise environments come from those. Asus,Gigabyte and Kingston are all consumer oriented companies and supply normal hardware and pre-build machines.

as for "anyone who works or is in management uses Android", thats also bs. most of them use ipads, that aside its because those people are usually in business meetings and on the road. whereas the real working people spend their time behind a desk in the office.

any real job like development, video editing, rendering and other heavy related cpu/gpu jobs are all done on workstations, theres 0 chance a tablet will ever be able to run stuff like that whatsoever.

If you dont want to use a workstation and only use tablets, by my guest and go ahead and do so but theres 0 chance now and in the future that desktops will ever phase out. because, if you didn't realize, everything that runs on consoles,tablets,phones etc is MADE on a desktop. without desktops none of that stuff would be able to be made since there is nothing in the world that has that kind of performance to do so.

edit: this thread is about IE I just saw, it comes to no suprise they get phased out. windows 7 has gotten up to IE 11 aswell and Vista/xp etc are already phased out. why would they maintain older versions. no logic in that.

shortly: I dont see the issue here, the sooner they phase out IE completely and focus on Edge and getting that into a decent state where people can load plugins etc. IE is old and its time it goes. Edge, even if its not perfect now, is the future, not IE.