Microsoft Touchpack on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tempest790, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Tempest790

Tempest790 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I have been trying out the Windows 8 and really can't wait to get my first touchscreen monitor. I was wondering if anyone has a multi-touch screen monitor and attempted to install the Microsoft Touchpack which appears to be what the PixelSense by Samsung is running. I know that Windows 8 has equivalent programs for the most part, but I really like the Touchpack Collage software. Plus, more than one person can use the screen at one time.

I don't know if anyone is willing to try, but I'd really like to know if Touchpack is compatible with Windows 8. There doesn't seem to be a lot of resources on this. Even Windows 7 may have an occasional issue.

Thanks for any input!

2. Toink

Toink MDL Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Yes, it's compatible with Windows 8. I installed it in my hp Pavilion DV6T series laptop since PRE-RTM and it works well. Now installed in the RTM Windows 8 Ent x64 version.

3. a7medo778

a7medo778 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    sorry for hijacking this thread guys, but i been intending to upgrade my home server monitor ( its less than min resolution ) to windows 8

any advice on some cheap touchscreens out there ?

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
  5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    agree totally in terms of decent prices for non-touch units but on the other hand, I can understand people who like to give W8 the chance to work as it was designed for : Touch experience combined with a keyboard and mouse. Haha, a bit like a Surface lol

7. Tempest790

Tempest790 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks! I hope to get a 42" touchscreen and mount it. I think Windows 8 and the Touchpack should make it awesome to use.

8. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Yep,that's the reason why I did that with the aforementioned TV.. Well,that + I received the kit to transform a normal screen into a touch-enabled device as a gift,so I had to find some use for it :) . To be honest,I'm somewhat tempted to see if I can find and retrofit a similar one into my main laptop (a 17'' MSI GX-series), but I'm a bit concerned if I can rework the bezel so it still looks properly.. Plan B is to just wait for the Surface to arrive and grab one (or 2 if the missus wants in on the action) :)
    If you are interested,you can check out a couple of retrofit solutions (a good choice are the 3M offerings) for a normal TV/monitor instead,because a 42'' touch-enabled device will cost ya

9. Tempest790

Tempest790 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    FYI: HP is selling their LD4200tm 42" touch monitors factory refurbished straight from HP on sale for $749.99 if anyone is interested. Those were well over $2000 new and usually $1499 refurb. I plan to get one since it will make a great learning tool for the kids. Just visit the HP Business Outlet store and you'll see them listed. Make sure the model number ends with "tm" because they make non-touch versions too. Add a Win 8 PC with that Touchpack and you have a very cheap Microsoft Pixelsense type display!

10. a7medo778

a7medo778 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    dont get me wrong guys, i am replacing all 3 desktops in my home with some AIO machines in january
    but my server is currently housing 16 HDD, so its the sole problem i have yet

from i searched, best way to go is the kit, but is it 10 finger enabled ?

11. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    No offense,but if I'm getting anything,it's going to be a brand new unit,not a refurb :) Still,1500 bucks (for the usual refurb price) is more than a 50-inch class plasma (with shipping from Amazon) and a touch-enabled kit for it. Still,I'm going to check out the 4200 in person and if I do like what I see,I just might get one for my main desktop (a quad-Opteron based machine assembled with free parts from work :) )
    Depends on the refit kit - I've seen some that were barely 5-6 finger enabled,but others are upwards from 16 fingers enabled ;)