Microsoft warns employees to limit alcohol consumption, after embarrassing allegation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nawzil, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Microsoft is urging its employees to take it easy with alcohol amid embarrassing allegations that took place earlier in the year. Several senior executives were accused of being "ridiculously drunk" and had made unwanted sexual advances towards their female colleagues.

"Even in the absence of an express legal requirement, Microsoft expects event organisers and participants to exercise common sense and good judgment when alcoholic beverages are served at social events. Food should be served along with alcoholic beverages, participants should manage their level of alcohol consumption [and] event sponsors should ensure that alternative forms of transportation are available. Any participant who becomes inebriated should be prevented from consuming alcoholic beverages and from operating a vehicle," Microsoft stated in an email to staff members.

Microsoft isn't telling their staff not to drink, but to "enjoy themselves, but not too much."

An incident came to light back in September of this year where Simon Negus, Microsoft's former UK second in command, was fired in 2010 after he allegedly kissed a co-worker at a company party in Atlanta and then lied about it when Microsoft conducted an investigation.

Negus was also accused of "flirting [with] and touching" that co-worker, Toni Knowlson. Negus also asked another co-worker to "flutter her eyelashes." On top of all that, Negus also asked another woman, Martina Redmond, to stand on a chair so that he could admire her short skirt. Microsoft fired Negus, but was unable to prove the sexual harassment allegations.

Negus accused his former boss, Gordon Frazer, for getting him fired and fostering a "culture of debauchery" at Microsoft. Negus alleges that "drunkenness and outrageous misbehaviour were rife" during an annual company sales conference. "The alcohol made freely available in unlimited quantities included neat vodka which could be drunk from an ice fountain, and a very strong German liquor called Jagermeister," Negus stated.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    Oh my god! What I call embarrassing is....

W8 isn't worth more stories so they 'advise' how to deal with alcohol.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sofatiger51

sofatiger51 MDL Senior Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Embarrassment is an understatement. Is drunkenness more symptomatic of Microsoft hopelessness of catching up to iPhone & iPad? Drowning your frustration in alcohol is easier than in sober state of mind.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not to be drunk itself, it's how they chase 'their females' then....just like in a zoo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sofatiger51

Mar 3, 2010
    I agree totally with you. Drunkenness is not a big issue by itself. It's the shameless act of going after the female co-workers that made it totally unacceptable behavior under any circumstances. Those employees should be fired immediately without further consideration no matter how high their positions at M$.

6. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Fuc**ng amateurs! can't even drink! :D :roflmao:

7. Y2012

Y2012 MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2011
    „like ballmer master like man.“
    „Wie der Ballmer Herr, so’s G’scherr.“
    „tel maître, tel valet.“
    „каков поп, таков и приход.“
    „Ruin señor cría ruin servidor.“
    „sådan far, sådan son.“

:D

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You tell em :drunk:

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You are absolutely right.
    The problem is that they (the drunk males at high positions) can cover each other. The female co-workers are the ones who get fired if they dare to talk about.
    I am afraid that it is common that men in high positions are abusing their position and think they have the right to molest female co workers when drunk.
    Especially in the US where 'hire and fire' is a common practice you can easily put them under presure to keep their mouth shut. So I think most of these 'actions' never become public.

They can, but cannot stand the stuff called Jägermeister. :D
    They are called bosses? :biggrin:

10. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Yummy! my favorite one! :p

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah I had a few of it at new New Year's Eve party.
    It's funny that it became that much famous.
    It actually was invented to have after meal, especially when eaten much fatty stuff.

The recipe was created 1934 already.

12. sofatiger51

Mar 3, 2010
    Jägermeister cures indigestion and drunkendness??!!:eek:

13. johnnygt

johnnygt MDL Senior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    ^^ along with Red bull (Jagerbomb !!)

14. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    That's it!

15. sM4llziE

sM4llziE Guest

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    LOL, indigestion only. They use herbs which are supposed to. Since it contains alcohol it cannot cure drunkenness, it causes it when drunk too much of it.:biggrin:

17. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I was pulled over once by State Trooper, it was back in 1993.... I did pass the test: a one-leg-stand test, walking in straight line, etc. whole 9 yards...and only got busted cause they used breathalyzer on my a$$, I had 2.5 promille of alcohol in my blood :biggrin:

Even The Judge wasn't sure how in the hell i was able to walk out of the car let alone pass all the tests :biggrin:

That is how you drink !!! ;) :rule:

18. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :motz:Do you think you can walk out of a morgue, shame on you !

19. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Never tried that before, lol ....

20. MillerCoors

MillerCoors MDL Member

Jan 5, 2012
    You're not the Only One in This World , lol self 3 months on foot, many years ago.