Microsoft Windows Server 2019 installation on HP Z220 Workstation

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dean_abie_pepler, Aug 3, 2018.

1. dean_abie_pepler

dean_abie_pepler MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2018
  2. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
  3. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    #4 audison, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    yes remove them please. sorry I didn't meant to be not nice but this is windows install 101. once you do this for more than 500 times than it's get's really annoying

No need to be so conservative you cannot break anything when you are dealing with software. Also you will not learn anything if you don't break something. Just try things and do it. It's the best way to learn. And use google or ddg.gg to search for answers. The key is the ask the right question. It needs to be specific so you get accurate answers...

So many people underestimate the power of the internet. You can ask any question to ddg.gg or google and get an answer in a second. So much knowledge just waiting to be feed directly into out brains...

4. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    i know that google shows legit stuff. i am being to careful here and looking for expert help not internet help

5. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    anyway if i buy a Second hand Solid State Drive 128 GB and install Windows Server 2019 via other desktop and plug back into the HP Server Desktop it will work will it automatically work the Z220 workstation hardware.

6. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    #7 audison, Aug 3, 2018
    You really don't want to let it go do you? Right now you have windows 7 installed as MBR partition on your hard drive. If you want to install WIndows Server 2019 you need to remove or convert that partition to GPT. You do this by removing the partitions and creating a new one or just installing to unpartitioned hardrive after you removed all partitions. After you click next windows will automatically create new GPT partitions. You won't break anything and if you want to install windows 7 again in the future you can do that, you have the key and the iso files are available here. That way you can get back to MBR partitions as you have right now. So I really don't know why are you complicating this more than it's needed.

And that idea to attach a new hard drive or ssd to other computer and installing it there is terrible because you will be installing unnecessary drivers for the other machine and after you attach to this machine it might break windows or not work properly.

You can disconnect this hard drive you have right now and attach a new hard drive or ssd and install windows server to new ssd or hard drive but why would you do that when you can just install it on this one?

Just for your information every time I am installing some customer/friends/my computer I always remove all partitions if possible and than create new partitions.
    This is smart because you don't want to leave old partitions from previous installations on the hard drive. Not only they are completely unnecessary but also can cause problems with new installation.

7. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    So? i deleted all Partitions and Created a 51200 MB Partition and installed Windows Server 2019 onto the 50 GB Partition. I let windows install files now i let windows do its thing and it asked for Administrator password i gave a password i am happy with and then all i see is a Command prompt window with C:/users/Administrator i do not know what to do at this point :( any advice on what commands to use to get to the GUI of windows 10 Server. Btw i downloaded A LTSC Release i really do not know what a LTSC is but i just wanted the Server ISO image

it turns out i downloaded
    Windows_InsiderPreview_Server_vNext_en-us_17723.iso which is what exactly? i used the microsoft insider preview server page for the ISO i didnt really know what i was downloading

8. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    #9 audison, Aug 3, 2018
    If you read carefully when selecting between Standard and Data center edition you would see that this installation of windows server is without the graphical interface. Install different windows server with GUI if you want graphical interface.

"(Recommended) This option omits most of the Windows graphical environment. Manage with a command prompt and PowerShell or remotely with Windows Admin center and other tools."

If you want Desktop Experience install Windows_InsiderPreview_Server_vNext_en-us_17723.iso (4.23 GB)

9. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    oh i must choose the second option for Standard Edition? ok i will do the install again

10. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    No both standard and datacenter editions of that installation are without gui. You need to download different iso...

11. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    name the ISO Plz. i will re-download it or if it takes too long to download i will just install v1803 Build 1734 onto my HP Desktop cause i have the ISO in my local drive

12. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    Windows_InsiderPreview_Server_vNext_en-us_17723.iso (4.23 GB)
    I guess you have the right iso you just need to select the other option (desktop experience)

13. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    that is exactly the iso i downloaded it doesnt give me GUI options

14. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    #15 audison, Aug 3, 2018
    I though you have different iso.
    I guess you have the right iso you just need to select the other option (desktop experience). Reinstall again and select the second selection when selecting server edition when installing.

15. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    here is the iso name Windows_InsiderPreview_Server_vNext_en-us_17723 i copied it from my Hard drive

16. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    Install again and when you have to select edition select the Desktop experience (second selection) and you will get graphical interface (GUI) that is all.

17. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    now i screwed around with the partitions too much trying to make a perfect size of Megabytes now the install is stuck @ 14% :'(
    well thats just dandy

18. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    i was taught that partitions from one OS will not work with Newest OS's i forgot that now i have remembered.
    sorry for being a dumbass

19. audison

audison MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    I don't even know why I am wasting my time on this thread. No-one wanted to help you so I said what the hell. But this is just...

Anyway I just finished installing the same iso you have and all is working well...