Microsoft's Actual Language?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Happpy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello, All!

I want to ask that which language Microsoft use for making their Windows and other software? Is it C++, Java, Turbo C, C Sharp, VB or any language else?

Another thing is that which language will be suitable for editing Windows and changing Windows programs as well. I want to do that language. Please give me tips.

Remember, I'm not going to make a virus.

Regards,

Happy.

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    C++ I believe

Virtual Basic is the language most use to write alternative programs to use with MS stuff

Edit: CODYQX4 schooled me :p...lol

3. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #3 CODYQX4, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I think your right there ;)

5. jam4

jam4 MDL Novice

May 2, 2007
    About 2 or 3 hundred thousand lines of Windows 7 are in assembly, but surprisingly almost none of it made it into the release binaries (conditional compiles ftw)

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    It isn't doable to code a whole os in asm. Everything apart from some of the lowest level kernel parts are written in c, and these parts are only written in asm cause some things they require can't be done in any high level lang.

But does anyone know which compiler they use?
    And what's actually the purpose of .net? Vs makes a .net file and the framework compiles it on the fly at runtime to native x86. What's the advantage of doing this except for jit debugging? When you program with care jit isn't really needed, wouldn't it better to directly compile to x86 than? Technically it should be possible to use the on the fly compiler to make an x86 assembly, isn't it? Of course when ms implements this feature.

And since vista windows includes the .net framework by default, I hope this doesn't mean some parts of the os are written in .net?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jam4

jam4 MDL Novice

May 2, 2007
  8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. unknownzd

unknownzd MDL Member

Jul 28, 2008
    #9 unknownzd, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    As I know they were using C++ for Windows and was compiled from non-Windows OS (I lol'd for this when I saw the source too) .......... you can get more info by searching "Windows 2000 2k NT4 src code" in google ...... one of the MS partner has once leaked the Windows NT4 src code which has included their customization .........

10. jam4

jam4 MDL Novice

May 2, 2007
    #10 jam4, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    Ouch, will bring this up with him, hopefully they didn't get bit by that "bug".

And I thought that AMD was slower due to bad chip design :)

Time to spend a few hours digging through some code in a profiler or two.

There could be a fun white paper in this :)

11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Actually I hope windows is affected by this, would be fun watching how intel gets eaten by MS :biggrin:

12. blinkomatic

blinkomatic MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #12 blinkomatic, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Back in Windows 2000 times they were still using a special compiler chain / build tool that was running on a certain UNIX Microsoft has had for a while... ah well, good thing for them that this didn't get public knowledge, I guess it wouldn't be the best marketing for them. ;-)

For the original question: it's common to use different programming languages for each part of such a large project like an OS. While surely most low-level parts are written in a mixture of C and assembler (except for a tiny part that is in pure assembler it's mostly C with inline assembler), most applications are things are written in C++. It seldom makes sense to write a kernel in anything but C and for optimization some inline assembler.

13. jam4

jam4 MDL Novice

May 2, 2007
    #13 jam4, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Xenix (cough, cough)

I still maintain one Xenix box for an idiot that doesn't want to "disturb" his database app.

One of these days I will run out of 386 motherboards from Compaq, then he is screwed.

And they used to sell that Xenix toolchain, Chevron had one before Texaco. Now it is just a bad memory/nightmare.