Microsoft's justification for getting rid of the old Context Menu in Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Jaffar, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015

Attached Files:

2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I use 7zip, send to and install from context menu all the time.

Extra clicking to do common tasks will likely keep me on Windows 10.

I also really hate forced grouping. When install a new build my first 3 steps are always get rid of wallpaper, show extensions and never group.

My workstation has a 43 inch 4K monitor, why would want tasks grouped?

3. crossup

crossup MDL Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Well, no sh*t. It became unregulated, because it was allowed to be unregulated. They could just make a interface to modify/rearrange the context meny as per the user's need. Or they could make a cascading menu and put all the third party items in there among which user can choose some as favourites to show in the top menu. But, MS does not improve, and start a redo instead. MS made a context menu that looks great in screenshots, but is an absolute turd when used.

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I totally agree here, they could also put that under the UAC, with a message "the app XYZ is trying to add a contextualmenu, click OK to allow or cancel to discard".

Too simple :D

5. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    They made it from scratch to make it compatible with the new UI elements and I think this is the beginning of the long journey to ditch the remains of the outdated shell

6. crossup

crossup MDL Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Thats just marketing speak. I have been hearing about new UI elements since Win8. I have also experienced 3 different long journeys undertaken by MS. Their ditching the shell has also been going on for 7 years now. They have made 3 different settings app in their "journey" to ditch the "outdated" control panel.

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Speaking of supposed UI Improvements its since forever that I wait an option to have the taskbar on the right but with the start button on the bottom and the systray on the top (a mirror of the taskbar on the left to be clear). You can do that in KDE I since when it was in beta in 1997 or so.

And ladies and gentlemen, after 26 years of studies and meditations, MS decided to ditch 3 taskbar placements over 4.

Not sure if they are stupid, lazy or a combination of he two :censored:

8. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Microsoft has a long history of making things that were easy to do harder to do. Nobody there seems to understand "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

9. Voyevoda

Voyevoda MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    7-Zip just needs to be updated to add itself to the new context menu when needed.

10. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    Luckily someone has put up Windows 11 icon and toolbar theme for 7-zip on Deviantart to bring it up to modern standards. So we are halfway there. I am sure we will find ways to add custom 7-Zip custom context menus to new style before their “thoroughly lazy” devs manage to do.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    So ...... little by little make the new and old context menu the same effectively having 2 identical context menus.

Call me crazy, but it seems like maybe we just need a way to easily edit the existing context menu if we WANT to reduce how much is one it.