might have installed 64-bit office on 32-bit system, seems to work

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by huge1, Dec 2, 2010.

1. huge1

huge1 MDL Novice

May 13, 2009
    OK, this is probably the silliest/simplest/dumbest question you're likely to find on these forums, but here it is...

Due to not carefully labling my downloads, I think I may have installed 64-bit Office 2010 Pro on a 32-bit Windows OS. The install (and activation) went fine, and I've used Word without problem. Is that possible, or does the fact that the install succeeded mean that I must have used the 32-bit installer? How can I tell which version I installed? And if I did install the wrong version, how would I be likely to see problems?

I'm guessing that installing 32-bit Office on a 64-bit system would work, just not optimally - is that right?

thanks, sorry for my newbishness...

2. huge1

huge1 MDL Novice

May 13, 2009
    Or does the installer just do the right thing? I just looked insode the .iso and found folders labeled Office.en-us and Office64.en-us ... so I wonder if the installer just detects what kind of system you're on and chooses the right install path accordingly. Sorry I may have posted prematurely - I'll dig around and see if I can figure it out for myself, but if you have a simple confirmation one way or the other, throw it at me! Thanks...

3. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
  4. huge1

huge1 MDL Novice

May 13, 2009
    Thanks! That answered it, and I didn't know about backstage, so double thanks.

Turns out I installed 32-bit on all 3 machines, including my 64-bit Windows 7 box. So I guess I'll uninstall/reinstall ... there's not any reason to leave it with the 32-bit version, is there?

thanks again for the quick and helpful reply

5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    That depend, if you use Office add-ins frequently you better stay with 32-bit as the 64-bit version probably won't support them... BTW, a simple google search would give you this answer in seconds