Migrating a Physical Windows XP PC to a VirtualBox/VMWare PC

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by mr-roboto, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    I did a search on "virtual physical" in this sub-forum, but no joy. I really think this topic idea should already be a sticky, but here goes.

Customer has a Windows XP laptop with an existing proprietary app. She needs to upsize to a newer laptop before the current laptop dies. (The current laptop isn't dying, but why wait and why not get some more speed while we're at it.) I know of tools which will convert a physical disc image into a virtual disc image, but that's not good enough especially for Windows XP. Besides reimaging the laptop into a virtual disc image, is there anything that will make the migration go more smoothly ? I know from experience, XP [especially] doesn't like to move from from one PC to another.

Specifically, I'm looking for something to image the BIOS, so I can make VirtualBox fake the new virtual machine into "believing" its still in its physical host, a la the VMWare Workstation BIOS Installer. Does this make sense ? I'd really like to stay with VirtualBox on this project, but I'll use whatever works best. TIA...