Migrating from HDD to SSD with Win8.1 a disaster, please help my bootloader?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by danieljamie, Feb 6, 2015.

1. danieljamie

danieljamie MDL Novice

May 15, 2011
    #1 danieljamie, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Hi

I have a Lenovo laptop that had a pre-installed Win8.1 on the HDD. I bought a Crucial MX100 512GB to migrate to there instead.

I followed this guide: eightforums.com/installation-setup/17083-how-migrate-os-new-hard-disk.html to do the migration, but I used this product: paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal.

I checked the box to "Switch EFI to boot from destination drive", where the documetation says:
    "The selected source 64-bit Windows 8 is configured to the uEFI boot mode, so if we want to start up
    Windows from the target SSD, we need to additionally mark the appropriate option. Please note however
    the source disk will become unbootable after the migration is over. Anyway you can specify a bootable
    device at any time through Boot Corrector."

Suffice to say, it broke. No boot. Windows error screen saying "winload.efi cannot be found" and I followed everything in this guide: neosmart.net/wiki/winload-efi-missing-corrupt. I did the automatic repair (failed) and did the commands for bootrec to no avail.

So I have EasyBCD and before I have tried to dual boot but eventually reverted everything back to NORMAL booting. (that is why Ubuntu is there).

I have secure boot enabled, and a uEFI BIOS.

This is my EasyBCD config:

When I try to boot, I have to scroll down to Windows Boot Manager to boot up. The others don't work.

Please help me :( I am out of my depth here. I am scared of totally damaging things.

Edit: More info from EasyBCD.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would say you use the Ubuntu live CD to do repair of the grub using Boot Repair. It is usually advisable to install Linux last to avoid such complication.

3. danieljamie

danieljamie MDL Novice

May 15, 2011
    I just want to clarify I do NOT want to dual boot. I simply want Windows 8.1 to boot as normal, without any boot menu.

I don't want GRUB, or Ubuntu, or any other Windows. Just my Win8.1.

But when I migrated from HDD to SSD, I got the blue error screen: "Recovery , Your PC needs to be repaired
    The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi
    Error code: 0x0000225."

Pressing Enter to try again: fails.
    Pressing F8 for startup settings: fails.
    Pressing Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings brings up a list of devices for me to boot, and when I scroll down to Windows Boot Manager it boots.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    For me putting a new SSD needs a fresh new install.

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #6 coleoptere2007, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Problem solved (help on the chat) :) danieljamie forgot to close the claim :p

6. danieljamie

danieljamie MDL Novice

May 15, 2011
    I solved it by typing into an elevated command line: bcdboot c:\windows and all was resolved.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    What if you boot into WinPE, check what drive letter your OS is (C: D:??) and run "BCDboot C:\Windows" to repair BCD.
    If you don't have WinPE you can boot your Windows Install DVD, press SHIFT+F10 to give you a command prompt & run it from there.

Did all the partitions get migrated? For simple UEFI you should have System, MSR, Windows. Your laptop probably has WinRETools, System, MSR, Windows, Recovery.
    You can check by running diskpart:
    sel dis 0
    lis par
    exit

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...