Misleading REARM posts / guides

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mux, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mux

mux MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    #1 mux, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    There are plenty of rearm articles for windows 7 around.

Unfortunately, it appears they are made for Vista, but are branded for Win7 - basically wont work properly.

Problem is that Sysprep does not work the same way as in Vista, and in my case, it was not very reliable. Generalize flag is not welcome through command line, so I ticked the flag in the GUI. Mistake! From the next reboot on, my machine ended up in a endless loop. Actually, Sysprep screwed my system! :mad: (see Attach)

Point is, you dont need to sysprep your maschine for a rearm at all! :cool:

A simple:

slmgr /rearm

with a reboot will do it.

Attached Files:

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    who said you had to sysprep for a rearm thats garbage:(

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    rearm and sysprep are 2 different things anyway. Sysprep is to prepare a machine for imaging and/or HAL independence, slmgr.vbs is to leverage the software licensing service.

4. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Yah, of the 4 options listed in that article, the 1st option (sysprep /generalize) probably should not be there, and the other 3 commands do the same thing, just with different syntax.

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr /rearm

5. cali310

cali310 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    delete delete

6. FuGGer

FuGGer MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    slmgr.vbs –rearm---That didnt work for me. Just pop-ed up a screen with all the switches i could use.

slmgr /rearm---This worked for me. Told me settings will be applied after restart.

7. mux

mux MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Executing the VBS with our without extension, may depends on the system setting, hidden extension for known file types.

You are right; help file of slmgr advices to use '/' for the flagging, for me it worked with the '-'

Anyway, I hope we have settled this for now :)