Missing CD/DVD Driver

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mishtag, Mar 30, 2016.

1. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    I am trying to install Win7 x32, and I am getting the following error during the installation, the HD had already win7 but I wanted to erase all its data in order to sell it, so I thought the easy way is to re-install windows, I tried 2 different win7 cd but I had same problem, and I have also followed an instruction to fix this problem that I found online and by using the diskpart command to clean the HD, but it didn't help, so here is the error message:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver missing. If you have a driver floppy disk CD, DVD, or USB flash driver please insert it now.
    Note: If windows installation media is in the CD/DVD driver, you can safely remove it for this step.
    Browse OK Cancel

2. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Two possible solutions:

1 - Download the driver from the mfg's site: Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.

2 - Clean the disk again and sell it as "No OS installed." I've bought many used computers this way. Let the buyer worry about it. (I've wiped every disk that came with someone else's stuff anyway - that way I know exactly what I have).

3. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    Create an ISO of your DVD (or download) and make it a bootable USB with Rufus software (

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 Enthousiast, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Try an official MSDN iso (lately much errors occur using crappyfied iso's).

Or try to format a usb thumbdrive in FAT32 and extract the iso to it, and try to boot with the usb thumbdrive.

External drivers for cd/dvd drives shouldn't be needed.

5. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    #5 mishtag, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    (OP)
    If I sell it with an OS, first I will attract less buyers, second, if the buyer try to install an OS and get this error message, he will return the computer thinking it is damaged, therefore, I will try the other option, and I will start with the USB installation but first I would like to know what to do with the Bios in order to boot from the USB, I don't remember that the boot sequence option has a USB in the list?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First insert the usb thumbdrive, startup and go into the biossettings, if it's possible enable the F key for bootmenu and try. If the laptop doesn't have a bootoption for the usb drive then i'm wondering how old it is :)

7. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Enthousiast, it is not a laptop, it is desktop, and it is HP a6207c, with introduction date 12-Sep-2007.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    My misstake about it being a laptop, but now your chances are higher it will be able to boot from usb :)

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its a bios bug .. try different usb slot in rear preferable.
    update bios.
    i had a recent HP laptop about same year production with same issues slot worked and bios update allowed usb to boot.
    should be ESC or F9 or F12

10. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    LatinMcG, I didn't try the USB yet, the problem was with the CD/DVD driver, and I will try to install win7 with the USB option, however, I was wondering how to make the computer booting from the USB, although I didn't try it yet. I am currently at work and I will try it tonight.

11. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Might want check see if any bios need to be updated and also, best way to re-format and reload all drivers from HP Website including chipset as well.. Good luck!

12. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Wow, what a great tool, the installation went very smooth, and booting from the USB was already the first in the list by default but I didn't notice it because it was listed as Floppy Group.

atgpud2003, I think the problem was because the CD/DVD driver is not the original driver that came with the computer, I had to change it once, so I first was thinking to open the case and see what model (I knew it was LG but I needed more info) and then try to find its driver, however, with installation from the USB option, I didn't have to do it, and now everything is fine.

Thanks to all for their help.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #13 Enthousiast, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    What tool was so great? CD/DVD drivers are normally very generic and normally they all are supported by every standard win 7 iso.

14. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    #14 Meat[On]A[Stick], Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Sorry this post is a case of "too little, too late", but the OP could have connected to HP's site where they would have automatically detect and install missing drivers.

Years ago I had a HP Elitebook 6930p. Did a clean, generic Win 7 installation. Connected to HP's site. Not only did their driver update service install all missing drivers, it recreated the hidden "factory restore" partition. I was pretty impressed.

Glad the OP is up and running now.

15. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Rufus is the great tool that enable me to install from the USB with no problem, and it was so easy to use.