Missing icons Windows 7 after components removal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sydnelson, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Sydnelson

Sydnelson MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Hi, I download a custom Windows 7 version from a local develorpers group and the version is amazing, very fast, low ram usage and everything works FINE.

I install that version over 30 machines in many companies and now I have a issue, users are complaining about missing icons in some programs, games and applications.

I try to contact the creator of that custom version and he said don't have time to check it.

I want a way to restore those missing icons without reinstall Windows or use another version, I think is a missing dll and will be easy correct but what files I need check and copy to windows instalation?

missingicons.jpg missingicons2.jpg

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    His reaction should warn you to not touch the iso's let alone install on company hardware ;)

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You could at least run an sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sydnelson

Sydnelson MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Already try sfc /scan, tried rebuild icon cache, tried vefiry main icon library and still doesn't work. Probably the dll files with those icons was removed during the ISO personalization. I want to know if someone may know what dlls that have those specific icons.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The creator doesn't have time for helping you (most likely he hasn't a clue what to do about it), how would anybody know what he removed from (or put in) the iso?

6. Sydnelson

Sydnelson MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    There is not list of changes maded on that ISO unfortunately.

I don't know if exist, but will be cool a debugging program (like reshacker) that I can open the problematic programs and look to the path of missing icons. Anyone know one program like that?

7. PaulTroll1282

PaulTroll1282 MDL Junior Member

Oct 6, 2017
    You should always use CLEAN and UNTOUCHED iso's not modified ones there far too risky.

8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Were the machines working fine when you first installed this system on 30 machines?? If they were and now all of a sudden people are complaining, then what would be the common denominator?? My guess would be a windows update?

And yes putting a home brew on your own private computer is one thing. But never on company computers. Your lucky that that is the only problem....... so far!!

9. Sydnelson

Sydnelson MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    The version I use is a extreme lite version of the windows 7, to use in old computers with 1gb/512mb ram and old processors. The system works fast and right. The only complain is about missing icons.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The only problem you know is missing icons. Corrected it for you.

If you want to avoid problems, you should tweak your own ISO. Using someone else's is plain risky.

11. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I thought the idea of a clean install has already sunk in, but it seems it hasn't.
    Take your time and simplix an iso yourself(read the sticky thread). You won't have such problems afterwards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...