Missing 'Known DLLs' from my system

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Oct 10, 2014.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm not sure how serious this issue is, but this morning I ran the program "Autoruns v12.03" that can be had from the Sysinternals website. In the results, when I click the 'Known DLLs' tab, I get a list a mile long that tells me the Windows 10 TP system cannot find the list of .dll files. I checked in my file explorer and they are all where they are supposed to be, the only thing I notice is that the path where they are supposed to be at is spelled different than what is listed in Autoruns. For example, "SHELL32 File not found: \system32\SHELL32.dll" is actually in System32/shell32.dll . Notice the difference in the capitol letters used, like system32 is actually spelled System32 on my hard drive, and SHELL32.dll is spelled shell32.dll .

All that to say this: how serious of a problem is this, can I correct it if it's a major problem, and does anyone else have this same issue? Many thanks!

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    right-click start, command prompt admin
    then sfc /scannow
    if it don't work, format

cheers

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion, but before I do all that, did you run the program Autoruns, and get the same result, or are you just making a suggestion that you believe might help?

I appreciate the comment!!

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #4 TONSCHUH, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    I just checked the Wow64.dll, which is shown as missing and it's really missing.

There could be 2 possible reasons for it:

- Autoruns is searching for stuff which is / will be not in use anymore in the next Windows and at the moment in the TP. Wait for an updated version ?
    - You have the file, I don't know why but it doesn't really matter and the file is not proper registrated in the registry etc. . You could fix that by re-registering the .dll's manually.

That's only a guess, but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge about it could correct me if I'm wrong.

:)

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That could be just an error in the search script because to your writing although the slashes are opposite: Slash = Backslash and vice versa!

I didn't run Autoruns, just to tell.

6. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #6 SpeedDream, Oct 10, 2014
    ignore my reply man
    i just did it to check with a clean install and look:eek::

"C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Attached Files:

• CBS.rar
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure that SFC is working correctly in Win10TP because I run that a few times and get every time the same messages as you, still everything runs well except the possibility to connect to the Update Servers of X-Plane! As it seems to be that Windows 10 TP is still and in reality Windows 8.1 with just an different Kernel and some (maybe many) new and different files, the SFC could be reporting wrong if it still used the 'old' search script. But I could be wrong with that!

9. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #9 ChaserLee, Oct 10, 2014
    (OP)
    Hummm..... My Wow64.dll is missing also. However, that's not the case with all the dlls that are listed. The majority of the ones I tracked down are actually there, just being reported by Autoruns as NOT being there.

You mentioned that perhaps I could manually register the dlls that I do have. Now that's something I've not done before, have you? If yes, how would I go about manually registering a .dll file?

Thanks!!

Chaser

10. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    The backslash thing was just a typing error on my part. They are correct in Autoruns. I do that sometimes.. ;)

11. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Hey, at least you tried to provide a good solution, and I always appreciate someone who is willing to try to help out!! :)

12. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm only running the plain vanilla version of the TP, not Enterprise. I cannot seem to find that file at all. Perhaps it's like has been suggested, that those dlls are not used now, or there is an error in the Autoruns script, and I need to wait for an updated version before I go and do anything drastic about it. After all, except for my Feedback App not working all the sudden, most everything on the system is running smooth. Maybe I'll try to contact the Autoruns authors and see what they have to say about the results the program displays.

I'll do a Google search and see if I can find out how to manually register the .dlls that are on my system, and that might repair the Feedback App. Who knows?

Chaser

13. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    OK, I found out how to manually register a .dll file, so Autoruns reported "SHELL32 File not found: \syswow64\SHELL32.dll" . So I fired up an Admin cmd prompt, and did the regsvr32 <filename>.dll thing, and the command prompt reported that it was a success.

I then ran Autoruns again, and it still reported the shell32.dll as missing from syswow64\ , so it must be an error in the Autoruns program. I'll see if I can contact someone from Sysinternals and see what they have to say. If I get any info, I'll be sure to post it back here.

Many thanks to all!!

Chaser

14. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #15 abbodi1406, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The problem is you are using Linux way of addressing file with Windows. Capitalization doesn't really matters when accessing files and their extensions in Windows. Often than not you are going to experience error with using capitalization. I think Microsoft has an edge slightly over Linux in that area.

16. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Same here. I have found that sfc/scannow throws out the same error, even on a fresh install.

17. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    That's news to me, and news that I'll remember for the future. I will admit that I have been doing some Ubuntu Linux work on a Chromebook for a friend just recently. He wanted Ubuntu to run alongside the Chrome OS, so I modded his Chromebook to do so. Anyways, thanks for the tip, appreciate it!!

Chaser

18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012