Mistakenly damaged BIOS - help with recovery. Lenovo G500, InsydeH20 BIOS.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by humanklaxon, May 11, 2015.

1. humanklaxon

humanklaxon MDL Novice

May 1, 2015
    #1 humanklaxon, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Hello everyone!

I've messed up. After flashing a custom BIOS, I modified a BIOS Graphics Memory option, and since then my laptop has not booted (no logo, no screen, no nothing).

On normal boots, the laptop will start, stay on for 5 seconds, and shutdown. It only does this when memory is in the machine (I assume it's trying to allocate more memory than is available, I can't say).

Anyway, I've attempted BIOS recovery several times, with guides such as this one (bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/). Specifically, here's what I've tried:

1. Downloaded latest BIOS from Lenovo's site (support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds036474). Extracted "BIOS Update.exe" using 7-zip.
    2. Downloaded the Phoenix Tool (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/13194-Tool-to-Insert-Replace-SLIC-in-Phoenix-Insyde-Dell-EFI-BIOSes), ran it on the WinVIWGP203.ROM file from the extracted exe. The suggested file name is "VIWGPX64.F?"
    3. Copied and renamed the original WinVIWGP203.ROM file to VIWGPX64.FD.
    4. Format USB drive (in my case, 4 GB, FAT32), copied the new .FD file to it's root.
    5. Disconnected battery, power cable, etc., from laptop.
    6. Plug USB in (all ports tried).
    7. Held down FN+B (FB+R also works on this machine). Plug in AC Adapter, power on.
    8. LEDs light up, let go of FN+B. Fan spins heavily. LEDs lit are white and orange.
    9. USB drive flashes twice or so immediately after pressing of power button.
    10. 30+ minutes, no change. No beeps, no flashes, no USB activity, nothing.

Here's all the file names I've tried: i.imgur.com/VeMb7NE.png

Any suggestions? Is there something I'm missing? There's also a thread here that suggests examine the platform.ini file, but none of the strings "model=" or "platform=" were found.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Is the mod done on your backup bios?

3. humanklaxon

humanklaxon MDL Novice

May 1, 2015
    No - the BIOS I'm using for recovery on the USB is manufacturer supplied, from Lenovo. The BIOS the machine had on it when quit working was modded, wifi whitelist removed.

Should I be using the modded BIOS on the USB instead of manufacturer?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You misunderstood my question. I mean to say that did the modder ask you to supply the backup of your stock bios for modding??

5. humanklaxon

humanklaxon MDL Novice

May 1, 2015
    Oh, yes, they did. The modded BIOS was working well until I messed with the config.

6. brettius

brettius MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2020
    Did you ever resolve this issue, I have the same problem and the file name it suggests doesn’t work in Andy tool.