Mixing DDR3 RAM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Maverade, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Maverade

Maverade MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2015
    First Thread Ever !! :D

Anyways, down to business.

I just built a new computer and want to mix RAM here's the motherboard and ram:

Motherboard: Intel H97 Chipset ATX Gaming Edition
    RAM: DDR3 "G Skill Sniper" (2x4GB) Dual Channel (1600MHz) (Timing 10-10-10-27) (1.5v)

I want to install 2 extra RAM sticks from my old computer to this new one. the old ram sticks specs are:

RAM: DDR3 "Kingston 99U5471-020.A00LF" (2x4GB) (don't know if dual channel) (1333MHz) (don't know the timings) (1.5v)

I'm hoping to mixing the RAM together. If you have knowledge or experience with this please tell me if this is a bad idea, and if i did what will happen or what i would have to do to make it happen without breaking stuff?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Maverade

2. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD Official WD Representative

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi mate and welcome to mydigitallife forums! :)

You can mix RAM sticks with different MHz, and the RAM sticks you've picked up should work with the motherboard, but just keep in mind that all the modules will operate at the speed of the lowest frequency module.

I.e. in this case you have two modules wherein one operates at 1333MHz and the other at 1600MHz then, the 1600MHz module will get downclocked (automatically of course) and operate at 1333MHz speed. Also to check while mixing RAM's is that all the modules should be working at the same voltage levels and preferably (though not importantly) the same CAS timings.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)

3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #3 Muerto, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

4. Maverade

Maverade MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2015
    I installed the RAM and it seems so far so good. I hope no BSODs or anything annoying happens. I'll tell you if it happens.

Thanks for the advice guys!