MKV Converter

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by aCres, Nov 25, 2009.

1. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    Hello Sirs,

Here I am again asking your time and suggestion about mkv converter. What is the best MKV converter(from any video format into mkv) for you?

Thanks!

aCres

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
  3. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    depends what you want to go to or from. mkv to dvd i use convertxtodvd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    From any popular video format into MKV. Hope I make more clearer now.

aCres

5. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    I'll try above recommendation and I will let you know the results. MediaCoder?? new to me.

aCres

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It is a wonderfull peace of software. Found out about it last year.

7. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    My Story

I have a lot avi movies(including classic movies which I really like to watch also) for my kids. Now what I want to do is to, convert them into MKV to save space and have quality also.

@ genuine555

I used MediaCoder to convert one of my avi movie, results good quality but.... the size, is the same. Can you help how can I reduce the size?
    Thanks.

aCres

8. sichuan21

sichuan21 MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    #9 sichuan21, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi, aCres

i happened the same case like you.

maybe you can another program which can compress videos with professional encoding technology like Moyea MKV Converter i am using now.
    Code:
    my-video-converter.com/mkv_converter/
    or you can try to convert another video format, like divx, rm, etc. with the converter you used now.

good luck!

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    MKV is a container format, not a video or audio format. The same goes for AVI, MP4 etc.

A container format binds the video and audio together, along with any subtitle tracks. AVI is the oldest and least feature capable, MKV is the most capable and also has the least overhead for the combining.

With MKV you can have several audio tracks, several subtitle tracks, and I also believe different video streams/camera angles.

The most efficient video and audio codecs to use are H.264 for video and AAC for sound, or which x264 and neroAACenc produce the best results, but these results are very dependent on whether you are using the latest version (x264 updated very frequently, every few days) and also the settings you use for each.

Most H.264 i've seen used on the net use very old versions of x264, and usually less efficient settings. Granted some of these settings are chosen to be compliant with standalone players, but the main quality features that don't effect the decoding are often short changed as they make encoding slower, or people just don't know.

10. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    What are trying to say? I'm not an expert that's why am asking some help here. Maybe I can handle if you assume that I'm new in computing.

Strange to me also, that I downloaded some movies in MKV and RM format, boy.. believe me quality is good. That's what I'm looking for(software or what?).

aCres

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    What burfadel says is correct. It means you will have to use a codec and mkv as the container, just as you would use divx as codec and avi as container.
    H.264 is very good quality wise. There are settings you can play with to tighten the compression and reduce the size.

12. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm looking for an output which is MKV, not MKV to any video format.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    MediaCoder

14. honey01

honey01 MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2009
    happy to help :D i just converted a ~ 500 mb mpeg file to 175 mb mkv without quality loss...

15. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    @keyboardman
    2 posts ( 1 spam) and your telling people to "google it"...?
    Guess you know what answer you'll get if you ask a question...:eek: