Mobo replaced vista nightmare

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Karma1, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Karma1

Karma1 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    I have a Compaq Presario sr2150nx desktop that i recently replaced the mother board with a Gigabyte M68M-S2P. Needless to say vista won't boot up now which I'm assuming is to driver issues. Is there anyway to go in there through UBCD or Ultimate Boot Disk and replace those drivers?

2. dogfox

dogfox MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    hello.. did you reformat the hard drive when you swapped motherboards ? because replacing the motherboard without reformatting wont work

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Karma1

Karma1 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    And thats what I was scared about. I have a OEM disk and it will only go on to a compaq computer. Other then buying a new disk anyone got any ideas?

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The problem is that Windows unfortunately stores the information about your computer....But yea assuming your able to load the copy of Vista which you should be able to install it but the problem will be installing the key associated with it.....Yes I have done this before with a Dell disc but I gave up on it cause it was so hard...

5. Karma1

Karma1 MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    And that my friend is what I was worried about. You'd think replacing drivers with UBCD would be an option to at least boot up the version of vista installed.

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I have never tried UBCD or Ultimate Boot Disk. Couple things you can try if you can get your hands on a copy of the software:

Driver Cleaner.NET:
    Boot into safe mode and strip the necessary drivers out, chipset, video, audio, etc.

Acronis True Image:
    Create a recovery CD with Universal Restore on it. Backup the partition, then restore the partition using Universal Restore. Universal Restore will strip the system drivers out before restoring the partition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...