Mod AMI BIOS Date

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Technoboots, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    #1 Technoboots, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    As far as I know this should work on AMI BIOS's, it's the only type i've done but it may be the same for other BIOS types.

Tools needed-
    AMI Tools from this thread
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/4071-New-AMI-BIOS-tool-for-performing-SSV2-3-and-Dynamic-SLIC-Modification
    Hex editor, I used Hexedit as it's free
    http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/

Once you have modified the BIOS to include SLIC using AMI Tool close it.
    In the folder with the AMI tool program in there is another exe file called MMTOOL, you will need this to extract and replace modules of the BIOS.
    Once this program is open, click on Load ROM and point it to the modified BIOS.
    Go to the extract tab next, in order to extract a module you need to select it from the list at the bottom, in my case I needed to extract the 06 and 1B modules as they contained the BIOS date (It may be different for other BOIS's). Click on the relevant modules (each one needs to be done individually) and in the 'Module File:' section click on browse and make sure it is pointed to the same folder that the BIOS file is in (See pic1). Give it a name that will easily identify it (I chose 06.bin and 1B.bin respectively). Make sure when you extract the modules that under 'Extract Module' that 'in uncompressed form' is selected.

Once you have extracted the modules you need to open them in the hexeditor program. In my case there were at least 4 places over all which contained the BIOS date. It should be easy to pick them out on the right hand side (don't mess with the left hand side of the program). Select each part of the date and change them to a more current date. (see pic 2) Once thing I did notice was the date occured in 2 formats, there where at least 3 formatted in the MM/DD/YYYY format while in one instance there was a date formatted as MMDDYYYY with no / so you will need to watch out for this (I would suggest using the find option and search for the year of the date. Once the modifying has been done save the files.

Once the modifications have been made you need to replace them in the BIOS. In MMTOOL, with the BIOS still opened go to the Replace tab and select the modules to replace one at a time (06 and 1B) with one of the 2 modules selected click on browse and point it to the modified bin file from the previous step and click on the replace button (see pic3). Once this has been done for both modules click on 'Save ROM as' and pick a name, i'd recommend choosing a different name so as not to overwrite the previous file.

Once this has been done all you need to do is flash the modified BIOS and the system should read the modified date.

I have modified the pics to remove references to what BIOS was used.
    Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk, I have only done this once and cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone. Also, do not open the BIOS file itself in the hex editor program, as I found out and modification to this will probably cause the flash to fail.

If anyone wants to redo the instructions feel free to, i've never been too good at doing them.

Attached Files:

2. omdhar

omdhar MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Good finding. It needs more testing on various bd. Another expected block which could have occured is resolved. Thanks.

3. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    Hopefully it will work for others, I really only did it to see if it could be done. I checked the info using the SLIC Dump tool as well as in DXDiag and both showed the modified date.

4. omdhar

omdhar MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #4 omdhar, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    I have tested in one of my ASUS AMI BIOS with same module, its working.Thanks:p

5. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    Glad it woked, hopefully others will be able to do the same as well.

6. DumTechie

DumTechie MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010
    Not working on ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS board

I followed the steps; found out that the date was specified clearly and only at one spot for the smbios (06.BIN) module. Edited it using HexEdit XVI32 (most recent) BUT could not re-integrate the edited bin into the .rom file with the error message: this is not editable module!!!!! I have bios version: 0602 for that board, released at the end of 2008

7. In2it

In2it MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2007
    Is there is similar method for Award Bios?

8. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I've just had a look at this BIOS and had no problems replacing modules, in this case though I found the BIOS date information in the 1B module. The 06 module just had a copy of the copyright date in it. The date which is in the BIOS is 10/29/08 so look out for 3 instances for the date in that format and one where it shows as 102908. I don't know what could be causing your problem as it didn't happen to me.

I haven't been able to mod an AWARD BIOS date but there was a thread on this board asking about it.

9. DumTechie

DumTechie MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010
    #9 DumTechie, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    Technoboots thanks for your response. I have opened the .rom file with BinHex and searched for dates and found one instance of yyyy format (2008 at 000EB8E0) and one instance of yy format (at the end of the file). After modifying the info i saved it and tried to flash from dos but got error info (boot block info error) and flash terminated. Now i see that in fact, the info is in 1B module. I have uploaded my bios to sendspace and would enormously appreciate it if you take a look at it and modify 102908 to 112909. Please let me know with PM if you succeed. I will continue to look at how to get this right. Let me read the posts again... Thanks for your help

bios download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e3hwz4

Attempts to replace 06.bin have failed again. Another issue is, in my extracted modules, I see lotsa jargon but in those pix, it is clear text!!!! I may have been doing something wrong. I will check again.

10. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I had no trouble extracting and replacing modules, no idea why you have. The mod went easy enough, atook only a minute. Don't worry about the date it shows when you burn it, it's not the one which the system sees after it's been flashed. There are no guaruntees, but it should work since I did the same for mine. I also changed the copyright year to 2009 as well.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yn3umb

11. DumTechie

DumTechie MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks Technoboots. I have extracted the 1B module and went through it to see the changes and it is terrific. I am puzzled why the MMtools version I have (3.19) is not allowing me replace the modules. My mmtools is being used in win7; wonder if I should use it in xp. But can't see why xp would make any difference. However, I do not have any other AMI bios to play with. I am planning on downloading some .rom files from net and see if I can make sense of this marvelous lil program. Are you using version 3.19 or is it some version? Anyways, thank you much for your helping hand.

12. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I have version 3.22, I got it when I downloaded the latest version of the amitool.