Modifing Daz Loader Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by andreiiar, Jun 2, 2012.

1. andreiiar

andreiiar MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    Hello community,

I have installed Daz Loader 2.1.2 for quite some time now and it's been great. It's just I installed on a partition a linux OS and I don't know how to add it to the existing boot menu. I have found no trace of the "menu.lst" file for grub4dos to modify it to my needs.

The linux os boots fine from the grub CLI but I want a menu entry for it and not have to type all that stuff in all the time.

Thank you,

Andrei

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    Hello Andrei,

Did you install the loader with it's boot menu enabled, or did it detect that your boot partition wasn't NTFS and instead used an alternate installation method which offered to enable the boot menu?

Of course you can add an entry to the loaders menu, but I would think that's making things more complex than it needs to be. And this totally depends on how you setup your system, but if I had to guess I would say that originally you had a Linux boot manager and since you've installed the loader without preserving the boot code it's now booting directly into Windows unless you enter some commands to get Linux to boot? If that is the case then reinstall the loader with the option selected to preserve the current boot code and make sure the loaders boot menu is disabled, then as your system boots press and hold 'R' (this can be hard to time right) and you'll get into the loaders boot menu. From there enter the commands to boot Linux and then once in Linux reinstall GRUB2 or whatever boot manager it uses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. andreiiar

andreiiar MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    Actualy it is a little more complicated. I had GRUB2 at first dual-booting Ubuntu. I then switched to x64. The MBR was changed to the default windows one and never bothered with bringing back the linux OS. On top of that I installed the loader. Couple of days ago, looking for a lightweight distro, I installed SliTaz in the old Ubuntu partition.

So this is where I am at:
    I did the loader thing you told me -> Windows booted fine, activated.
    Installed GRUB2 (1.98) -> SliTaz booting ok, no Windows entry in grub.
    Added the Windows (hd0,2) - C: - entry to custom list. grub-mkconfig doesen't see any boot files.
    I can still access the Windows boot with Hiren Boot CD. Wierd right?

I hope you understand what I did, I'm not extremly familiar with this but I pick up fast and know how to search. Bare in mind that I tried numerous ways and been doing that sice the first reply.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Normally GRUB2 will auto-detect Windows so that is weird. Have you tried grub-mkconfig as:
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    And I presume that when you installed GRUB2 you run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. andreiiar

andreiiar MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2012
    #5 andreiiar, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Yes I did mkonfig and only detects the linux installation. Altho it adds the lines to grub.cfg. At this point I get "Missing bootmgr" error and in need of a break.

PS. there is no update-grub in SliTaz. As I read it is the same to mkconfig.

6. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    It Is NOT very usefull to ask this In several threads.
    I saw you get already answer on the same question in another thread.

The people here are not some helpdesk (answer In a minute), so sometimes will cost a little bit more than 1 minute, when you have an answer. ;)