Modify Award Bios /acpi 2.0 v 5.3 in HPa6230n to Activate HW Vitual Function

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by return2childhood, Oct 27, 2010.

1. return2childhood

return2childhood MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    I am a new board user. I posted the following in the Bios Mods Forum Didn't know about this Forum
    I would like to use the HP a6230n to support VMware or Virtual Box. My Bios as reported by Universal Bios Backup Toolkit 2.0 is AWARD /ACPIv2.0 V 5.13 [10/29/2007].
    My CPU AMD Althlon 64x2 Dual Core 5600+ supports HW vituality called AMD-V by AMD. The current Bios doesn't allow enabling/disabling AMD-V. AMD-V is required to use VMware/Vbox to host a Guest OS. The motherboard as reported by Speccy is ASUS NARRA2. The chipset reported by Speccy is NVIDIA MCP61 rev A3 Southbridge. The motherboard elsewhere is said to be ASUS M2N68-LA [NARRA2] The chipset is also said to be NVIDIA GEFORCE 430 with 6150 graphics on the board.
    Sorry if I have messed up the nomenclature.
    Questions: Can I mod the bios to support the CPU's AMD-V capabilty?
    If so, How would I enable/disable the AMD-V feature? If the answers to these questions is no,you cannot; is the solution to purchase a replacement BIOS that works with my computer[works with this motherboard?]? I don't know if the current BIOS is soldered to the board yet.
    I think I can do all except unsoldering the bios[if that is necessary].

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Im sure you can use the VMware or Vbox without HW virtualization.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. return2childhood

return2childhood MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Using the Vbox VMWare w/o HW virtualization ?? Guest is Max OSX86

I have tried several times with both Vitual Box and VMWare to install Mac OSX86 as the Guest OS. On the forum, Insanelymac.com there are many detailed tutorials how to do that. Some postings on that Forum explicitly state that w/o HW support there is no solution to installing the guest successfully I have not seen anything that says the Guest Mac OSX86 is the problem [although they are difficulty to get fully working]. Many folks have been able to install as guest on other PCs [w/ HW support]. For me VMWare and Vbox keep issuing ERRORS that the AMD-V[or V-T on the Intel] etc isn't enabled. Then it crashes.

Originally I too thought that it should run w/o HW virtualization but much more slowly.

Do you know of any place on the net that talks about Guest OS & HW support?

I hope you are correct. Moding the BIOS is scary for me. I don't want to brick my PC.

If I can't get VMWare or Virtual Box support working I can install the OSX86 as dual-boot with my Win 7 OS. That requires I start with a clean HD or do some head standing.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY-I find the Forums are very technical. I like that.