Modify OEM Restore Partition for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lokkje, Sep 15, 2009.

1. lokkje

lokkje MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    I've upgraded my Dell laptop from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate thanks to the Opa's tutorial and other factoids gathered around this forum. What I'd like to do now is to modify the Restore partition that is installed on the laptop with the Win7 files.

I've seen a number of posts for creating a customized OEM DVD and slipstreaming the correct certificates, SLP keys, drivers, etc., but I haven't seen anything on accessing and modifying an OEM restore partition.

Is this possible and are there any instructions out there that I just haven't come across yet?

Thx!

2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I install WIN7 and all necessary soft, then using Acronis True Image to create Rescue Zone for recovery.

3. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    been looking at Factory.wim in the partition Recovery D:\DELL\Image folder myself and wonder if a similar named image could be placed there. Have to study all the files there but a wim imge will simply lay down exactly like that and I see imagex in one folder. Only thing is do they have checks and balances on it?

Do like the Dell recovery and all the other options from F8 which is way faster than Acronis TIH on a 640GB drive.

I will experiment with it when I get time for sure just to know, but I do have my TIH image backed up on separate drive and a boot cd

4. Veegertx

Jul 23, 2009
    1 1/2 later
    Made a TIH point
    Moved factory.wim to another drive, copied install.wim in and renamed.
    Reboot and done the factory restore and it said sucess.
    Reboot said Bootmgr missing as I expected. Thats the 100mb partition a lot are so adamant about removing since install.wim did not install and make that partition. Funny after that the TIH was still on the F11.

9 mins later after TIH I'm back.

Best way to replace I think would be to capture your actual HD and the 100mb part with PE. Too long winded so I won't go into that cause their is enough stuff out there to show you the way.

Me, I'll be trying this again cause that would be neat to have that F8 option to restore to Factory condition with a 7Even image.
    Its just something I been thinking about cause a 7 install won't recreate that recovery thing.

5. Dontshoot

Dontshoot MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
  6. lokkje

lokkje MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #6 lokkje, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    (OP)
    My Dell recovery partition only shows a RECOVERY folder with hidden system contents inside. I was expecting to see a .wim file, but no joy. I didn't format that partition when I did a clean install of Win7 over Vista. Not sure what else I could mount/view that partition with to see its contents...

[EDIT]

I just failed the 10% rule. I deselected the 'Hide System Files' in Explorer and only saw those files above. My dumb@$$ didn't think to back out of that folder and look at the root directory!!

I'm going to spend some time looking at the .wim files in there when I have a chance and will post anything I find. Knowing that your edit didn't get the desired results helps a bit; but I didn't delete the partition at the beginning like most people do. (Mine is only 39.19MB though).

7. Veegertx

Jul 23, 2009
    My Bootmgr missing I think came from I'm on Vista testing my UA app and moving to 7 soon and with the F11 still working say's the small boot partition must still be intact. The boot partition would only be setup to boot the Vista so I'm sure that was the problem. Think I'll attempt again and then boot with a dvd and see if I can do a fixmbr or something.

My recovery part is 14.9gb and I'll hang onto it here. Like to tweak that up and make it work

discovery is what makes it fun.

8. Ruley

Ruley MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I had a look through my hp recovery partition and found a lot of .wim files. There was 13 for all of the drivers, programs and back grounds,two boot.wim and one had something else in it. I also had a folder with with a bootmgr in it, so i might not have that problem

9. Veegertx

Jul 23, 2009
    #9 Veegertx, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Bootmgr didn't work. then went into boot dvd and do repair and got this
    Code:
    The following startup options will be added:
    Name: Windows 7 Home Basic (recovered) 
    Path: Windows
    Windows Device: Partition=D: (595048 MB) 

Name: Windows (TM) Code Name "Longhorn" Preinstallation Environment (recovered) 
    Path: Windows
    Windows Device: Partition=E: (15360 MB) 
    doesn't even look right and didn't work

Like to know if Dontshoot method worked.

My recovery has a Windows folder of about 1gb so doubt this x64 Vista recovery be usefull for a 7 recovery without a lot of work.

7 has dism embedded and making an image could probably just store them on that partition and delete a bunch of stuff in there. I usually keep my TIH images on a separate drive totally

10. lokkje

lokkje MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    Bump, just to let everyone know that I havent had time to look at this lately due to work. I still want to implement this, so if anyone has ideas, I'd appreciate it.