Modify the installation directory (Appx)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tistou77, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello

I would like to "move" the .Appx installation directory that I install (Windows 10 1809)

So I modified this registry key,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Appx]
    "PackageRoot" = "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"

But the apps still installs in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    Apps installed from an .appx file

It is no longer possible to modify the installation directory ?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Settings > System > Storage > "Change where new content is saved"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Ok thanks,
    Will there be an option directly in regedit ?

4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The path is saved to HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageRoot

You can easily return it in PowerShell by querying it and expanding the PackageRoot property:
    Code:
    Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx" -Name PackageRoot | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PackageRoot

Though I have not manually changed this path myself and have always just used Settings (I also do not keep my apps on my C drive).

5. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Thanks,
    I tested with the modification in the registry but it does not work :(

6. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Tested with the option Settings > System > Storage > "Change where new content is saved"
    It works but it installs directly to the root of the selected disk, not the choice of a directory / folder