Modify the installation directory (Appx)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by tistou77, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Hello

I would like to "move" the .Appx installation directory that I install (Windows 10 1809)

So I modified this registry key,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Appx]
    "PackageRoot" = "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"

But the apps still installs in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    Apps installed from an .appx file

It is no longer possible to modify the installation directory ?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Settings > System > Storage > "Change where new content is saved"

3. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Ok thanks,
    Will there be an option directly in regedit ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    The path is saved to HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageRoot

You can easily return it in PowerShell by querying it and expanding the PackageRoot property:
    Code:
    Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx" -Name PackageRoot | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PackageRoot

Though I have not manually changed this path myself and have always just used Settings (I also do not keep my apps on my C drive).

5. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Thanks,
    I tested with the modification in the registry but it does not work :(

6. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    Tested with the option Settings > System > Storage > "Change where new content is saved"
    It works but it installs directly to the root of the selected disk, not the choice of a directory / folder