Monitor goes dead while installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soamz, May 17, 2015.

1. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    HI, I have 3 systems in office,running dual core, 2GB RAM RAM, brand new systems with Asus 15 inch monitors.

Now when I try to install windows 10 to it, after the windows logo, the monitor shows, OUT OF RANGE.
    Whats the problem ?

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #2 Skaendo, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Possibly a manual setting on the monitor? Although they should be automatic. Probably the frequency. See if you can change it to 60Hz in the monitors settings.

If that doesn't work then see if you can change the resolution manually in the monitors settings, to something like 1280x800.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011

Just installed Ubuntu to it. So, now goto monitor settings and change it and then try install the windows 10 ?

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    On Board Graphic Card (I believe!)? If so, go into BIOS and set the amount of Video Ram to at least 512MB if possible, or to highest available if below!

I had similar problem with an Asus Desktop while the on Board Graphic were set to 256MB only and had to place an PCI-X Card 512MB in for to get Windows 10 installed. After installation it worked with the build in 256MB but good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    The monitors settings (a button on the side or bottom of the monitor itself), not software settings. But you can give it a try as well, since they might carry over.

6. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011

The systems dont have graphics card installed, as its office PC.
    Shall I get them installed ?

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #7 Skaendo, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    I don't think that it is necessary to install graphic cards. I'm looking into your problem further, it night take a few minutes. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas too.

Did you try to adjust the resolution and frequency in the monitors settings?

What model monitor is it?

What kind of adapter is it using to connect to the PC?

Do you have a different monitor you can use?

8. noobixent

noobixent MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    I have a similar problem installing Windows 8 and Windows 10 in my PC. XP to Win 7 installs no problem, but Win 8 up, it goes dead as soon as Windows installer GUI shows up. For me it's my graphics card. I have an older PC, still using Radeon x1900xtx. I happen to have another vintage card Radeon x1050 which despite the lower specs, I put it in as a replacement, and it works okay during install. I don't know why my higher spec x1900xtx was giving me problems, but the symptoms of blanking screen is very similar to what you're experiencing. Maybe it's a video BIOS issue, Im not sure. Then when Win10 is up and running, I have to mod the vintage ATI drivers to work with Win 10, and swap video cards. It is always a pain everytime I move up to newer builds. I kept sending feedback to MS about this but looks like my complaints have fallen on deaf ears. Amazingly, Win10 works better and faster on my older spec PC. In fact faster than every other older windows I have installed.

9. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Out of range means your pc sends unsupported resolution or refresh rate to your monitor. Use F8 to open Advanced startup options and choose Enable low-resolution video (640×480) then select the recommended resolution of the monitor. If there are no recommended settings available, change your monitor cable, it's faulty.

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    F8 doesn't work in Windows 10. The fact that entering safe mode must be initiated within the operating system makes it difficult to do so. I would suggest he manually sets the resolution right as somebody mentioned earlier.

11. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    What you describe is what happens when the gpu tries to open a boot screen at a refresh rate (Hz, kHz) your monitor can't handle. The problem with very old gpu hardware drivers is that they date from the CRT era when refresh rates were routinely much higher than 60Hz, often by default. What should be happening is that the generic Win10 monitor driver should be interfacing with your gpu driver to hit the correct Hz--probably 60Hz-- but the kHz refresh rates are off in the older driver and the monitor can't sync at the kHz rate the gpu driver is trying to enforce--so you get a blank screen when the monitor can't sync. Win10 isn't designed for hardware that old (of course) and so sporadic problems like this with older hardware and drivers are inevitable. You'd do much better to spend $100 on a new, el cheapo motherboard & discrete gpu, because some of the older hardware like ram is nigh irreplaceable should it die on you...and if you could find some of that stuff still in someone's inventory today you'd be amazed at how expensive it is. Not worth maintaining, imo.

12. noobixent

noobixent MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    #12 noobixent, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    I have also to add that my monitor which have blanking problems when installing Win8/Win10 have DDC issues. I know this for a fact because when I use Ubuntu, I have to manually set my display resolution to the optimal setting supported by the monitor. I don't know if this has anything to do with the issues with windows, but I'm going to guess they are related because I have an older monitor which does not communicate its capabilities to the video card.

[update]
    So after reading all answers to this post, I tried to figure out what could be wrong with my card or monitor why it blanks out when win 8 or Win 10 install GUI starts. I have already pointed out that the PC can't read the EDID off of my LCD monitor, when the manual of the monitor says it should be 100% PnP. Before, the monitor shows up on Dev Mgr as Generic Non-PnP, so I thought my monitor was just too low tech since I bought it on sale at TigerD. I happen to have an extra noname China-made VGA cable laying around so I thought I'd switch it for the Radio Shack one I'm currently using. And just like that, my monitor is now detected as Generic PnP, and PowerStrip app is actually able to read the EDID off of it. Who would have thought it's the freaking VGA cable that was giving all these problems? I was thinking Radio SHack vga cable was better because it is more expensive and has gold plated ends. So if you have a similar problem try switching cables. I don't have my multitester handy but I'm pretty sure one of the DDC lines in the RS cable is not wired.

13. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Very good point. You should be able to look in the male end connector and make sure that all 15 pins are there. I had this issue a while back and found that I had a VGA cable that didn't. So I just threw it out and used one that had all 15 pins.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I guess there is a communication issue of current w10 native video driver and your monitor. The problem is that w10 suggest to throw out an unsupported format which the monitor cannot handle.
    You probably need a second monitor to resolve the issue. When using the second monitor change the resolution at w10 to a format both monitors can handle, then reuse the original monitor.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is a very good suggestion, sir. A cousin of mine had the same problem in the past and did as you suggested in your post with positive result. However, there are three things which are very clear could be the solution to the problem and they are:

1) Manually set the resolution to see if that would solve the problem.

2) Change the monitor signal cable (VGA cable).

3) Try another monitor that support a higher resolution - as suggested by you.

Through these three points the person can really understand what is wrong why the monitor is going blank. If none of those solved the issue it means it's time for him or her to upgrade the system by getting a compatible one.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I excluded the first 2 points :)
    AFAIK current monitors react on the DVI signal provided by the source (at least my monitor does and also my TV) and have no resolution settings themselves and they have only one native resolution all the rest is scaled.
    And he said he has 3 systems which are the same.

I would not upgrade only because current w10 drivers cannot communicate with his hardware combination. At GA it should work. :)

17. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    This is very true. I have a VGA cable I got from radioshack and it's missing one of the pins as well. Couldn't figure out why the monitor would not fit the screen properly even when I pressed the autosync button and would not get all of the supported resolutions from the monitor. Realized it was because that cable was missing the pin that relays that information.

18. kvn864

kvn864 MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2012
    this is correct. it happened to me as well. I just waited and waited, it reboots a few times and then i can see the screen, it is a resolution that your monitor can't display problem.

19. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    option 3 would be the best;)

20. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #20 T-S, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

BTW many monitors (especially the older ones) have a broken DCC implementation, something that the linux users knows pretty well. Something that is usually easy to workaround in linux thanks to the boot time parameters.

In windows that was less likely (at least @boot time) because the boot logos were always shown in VGA@640x480@60Hz.

This changed since win8, but, afaik there isn't a boot time option to force the refresh and resolution like in linux

In short, in windows you can force the desktop resolution to say 800x600@60, you can also set the legacy style bootloader, but while windows is loading you need at least a 1024x768 monitor with a working DCC.

So the suggestion is to use a different monitor force the desktop resolution to something usable by the old one, set the bootloader to legacy style, and then reconnect the old monitor.

You will be able to use the OS but you have to get used to a blind boot process.