Motherboard Bios Change (Different motherboard)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by infected_, Sep 1, 2012.

1. infected_

infected_ MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    if this is hardware dependent, explain me how i can use the bios from the P6T Deluxe on my P6T Deluxe V2... Its same if i had exchanged the motherboard... who can explain that to me?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You mean use it without to have lost activation?

The explanation is simple: W8 hasn't detected enough differences to request for reactivation.
    Hardware changes have a ranking. Those who are declared to be important lead to a a high value (number) when changed (counter). As soon the limit is reached, the OS requires reactivation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. infected_

infected_ MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    yes, i used bios 006 from P6T Deluxe and cross-flashed in a P6T Deluxe V2.. I'm going soon change processor, ddr's and motherboard, i'm i going to lose my activation then?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I haven't found detailed infos about the values and maximum count. It might be different at different licenses...the only thing you can do is to try and save the activation data before.
    Well a BIOS change is no hardware change. And a BIOS change affects mostly OA machines due to loss of relevant ACPITables (either SLIC or at w8 the MSDM table).
    That's probably the reason why it is still activated, no hardware change (KMS I guess?)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think he'll lose the activation if all come together: CPU, Memory, Mainboard as he described.

In the past, while changing an MB in Windows 7 together with CPU from Intel to AMD and/or vice versa, that were trigger a reactivation. Using just to change the MB, most of the time iot were not a problem, special if the new MB was the same brand.

In Windows 8 that will have some changes, but that the time will teach.

6. infected_

infected_ MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Yes, used KMS server to activate...

7. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I activated my windows 8 pro using Mak if I update my CPU would I loose activation?

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I have got infos:

If a repair or upgrade of a server includes significant hardware component changes, reactivation is required ONLY if the hardware changes include the system drive. This change applies only to OEM:NONSLP, retail and MAK activations. SLP, CSVLK and GVLKs will not exhibit this behavior.

If a hard drive fails on the computer and is replaced, reactivation is required.

This means if right. ONLY hard drive related changes (hardware config / hardware) requires reactivation at OEM:NONSLP, retail and MAK activations.

9. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    That's not true in my case, I have 2 computers, moved an activated Windows 8 system drive from one computer to another. It deactivated the Windows. This happened for a MAK activated Windows 8 Enterprise.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Your conclusion is not logic, why shouldn't it be true then? It clearly states something completely different! You cannot 'move' an activated OS to another PC!

"If a hard drive fails on the computer and is replaced, reactivation is required."

This means: You can change any hardware on a MAK activated PC except its HDD without to reactivate.
    There is no word about to move the SYS-HDD to another PC.

Source: Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 Product Activation Information, issued at 8/24/2012 by M$ so it is official.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    At the same moment you have to move the SYS-HDD out of one computer to an other one and the MB isn't the same and also using different drivers, Windows will be deactivated. Only if the MB is the same Brand and Model, using the same drivers, the "old" activation will be intact!

The MS information in this regard isn't complete and detailed, which means missing many facts.

12. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Is there a link for that publication on 8/24/2012?

I think what you meant was, you can change any hardware on a MAK activated PC, except its system drive OR ITS MOTHERBOARD. If you don't say that motherboard part, it can be interpreted as you can move the system drive to another different computer with different motherboard.

13. infected_

infected_ MDL Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Good news for me then !! I'm not exchanging the raid-0 system of my 2 x wd3200aaks... :) but the chipset is different (X58 -> Z77, provably going have to format... :| ) and the rom for the raid controller must be different.... any news on that, if I'm gonna lose my activation due to raid rom change + chipset ?

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    @infected: Unfortunately not at your case. This change applies only to OEM:NONSLP, retail and MAK activations. SLP, CSVLK and GVLKs will not exhibit this behavior.

A KMS key is a GVLK!

@pisthai and CuteBirdy: You are right. CuteBirdy, I get now what's your point. :)

But M$ clearly stated: "If a hard drive fails on the computer......" This excludes movement to another one! The bold bit is the important bit. This assumes the motherboard (or whatever they mean with 'computer') must be the same as well, even to avoid that a license can be moved...

Well what is a computer? Or when is a computer not the same computer anymore? It must be the motherboard....

No, AFAIK there is no link but I can quote that bit: