Motherboard Change Help needed

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Dodger, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Dodger

Dodger MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2009
    I have just fitted a new Motherboard running the same CPU and HD but vista is crashing with a blue screen (to quick to see what is says) about 4 seconds into booting.
    Now I suspect it's because of the MB change, is there a way around this or is a complete reload needed or has anyone got any suggestions. :confused:

Thanks

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    first thing i would check is your ram is it seated properly and run a ramtester program.

3. Dodger

Dodger MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2009
    I ran windows own memory test from the install DVD will run memtest tomorrow, I have checked the seating and it looks good but you never know, it's just I was expecting something like this XP pro never liked being run in another machine.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    If it is an identical motherboard you should be able to swap it out without problems. If it is a different motherboard, especially if it is a different chipset, then you need proper drivers for the boards components...ie....Chipset, controllers, sound, video, LAN, etc.

Sometimes you need to uninstall previous drivers from add/remove software. Details in the BSOD dump would help us narrow it down.

6. Dodger

Dodger MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2009
    Of course how did I miss that, both Asus boards but ones a P45 and the other is a G41, is there any way of doing a drive change without a reload of the OS?
    When you say add/remove software from where do you mean..

7. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Really need details of the BSOD to nail down what it was caused by. You need to remove any installed drivers in add/remove programs. Then add chipset drivers, any controller/RAID drivers, and other drivers for your motherboard like sound and LAN as needed.