Motherboard helppp!!!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Deleted member 185298, Feb 20, 2011.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    From the looks of it you want Socket 478 with DDR, AGP and mATX which of course is dependent on the case. What you linked to has what you require. Whether your tv card might act screwy in a new board I can't say, shouldn't though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Thanks ^_^

So it has what i require right? My video card, fan, sound card etc will work? Thanks.

As for the TV card, is that that Aver TV BS? Never used it in my life, would rather have it removed from the computer completely. Thanks a lot man, youve been a great help. Now do you know of any good guides for replacing motherboards? Would appreciate it. ^_^

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  5. Thanks a lot man, shall buy it and post back after install. MDL FOREVER!!!!!

6. More help needed!

The new motherboard just arrived. Its in top condition (sealed) and has manual included. Im going to try and install it later, but one thing im not sure about is the cpu. its a prescott pentium 4 and AFAIK you have to apply some sort of thermal paste (or tape?) and then put the cpu fan on. Does anyone know how i can safely transfer my cpu from my old motherboard to my new one?

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Well you can clean it up and then move it over and reapply the paste and the heatsink but as I said before if you're unsure then get someone who can do it for you. Very easy to screw up pins on the processor.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
  9. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    There are many videos on Youtube that will guide you thru MoBo installation and processor installation.

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The compound is the gooey stuff and the pad is literally a pad

11. I'm attempting the installation now. I removed the fan and i was going to use arcticlean on the processor but i realized the fan had some paste on it as well. Should i use arcticlean to remove it?

12. Never mind, i looked at the instructions on the site, and yes you do have to.

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:Didn't see your post sorry , yes you have to clean old paste or it can cause heat issues.

14. :)

No worries. I finished installing the CPU and the Heatsink on to the new motherboard. I'd say thats enough for one days work :) i'm gonna continue the installation tommorow, because im going to a party.

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :Dpaaarrtyyy

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Just be sure that you didn't apply too much paste, this paste is a great electrical conductor and if you use too much... personally I prefer the new generation pastes that are even better for thermal conduction and are electrical-safe.

In any case, its best not to use too much. The paste isn't meant to be the conductive medium, its meant to ensuire the best effective contact between the two surfaces. The principle is to fill in all the microscopic surface imperfections, which allows for maxiumum effective contact between the two surfaces. If you use too much, the two surfaces may not be in direct contact and even with the best pastes it can reduce the cooling effectiveness.

17. #20 Deleted member 185298, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for the useful advice, i'm pretty sure i've done a good job with the cpu and the heatsink :)