Motherboard is alive, but acting dead

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rEApEAt, Apr 6, 2016.

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Two years ago I have assembled a desktop with this mobo: Intel DZ87KLT-75K

Apart some annoying problems with some BIOS versions, it was working fine.

Then, when reinstalling the OS, I had a problem and entered the BIOS. There was garbage in the hard drives list.

Immediately, I restored BIOS defaults. Then, perhaps too confident, I have restored a saved profile.

Now the mobo halts in the first screen (Intel logo). Let me list what I did:

1. Removed the discrete graphic card
    2. Removed all drives (ssd, hd, optical)
    3. Removed all memory (and then got the three canonical beeps!)
    4. Replaced all the memory with a single working Kingston value stick
    5. Replaced the PSU (twice)
    6. Replaced the USB keyboard with a PS/2 keyboard
    7. Used the "Back to BIOS" button
    8. Tried to clear the CMOS many times
    9. Tried to clear the CMOS many times by removing the battery
    10. Replaced the CMOS battery (twice)
    11. Tried to reflash the BIOS using a USB drive and a CD, but nothing happens

The only thing I have not tried is to temporarily replace the processor (I don't have any spare LGA1150 processor).

So the motherboard is working (it starts, give video, give three beeps when there's no RAM...) but I can't boot, I can't enter the bios, I can't reflash the bios. The only thing I get is the stupid "extreme" Intel logo.

The POST code is 00 15 Exit early platform init driver :(

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you reset the cmos/remove the batt when the cpu was removed? Once asus informed me to do it while the cpu was removed, they called it a deep reset. The problem i had didn't occur anymore after that.

3. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll try it right now!

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    Removed the processor and the battery, turned on the PC for 20 minutes or more. Code 00 00, no beeps. One of the green lights was blinking slowly.

Cleaned the processor and the cooler, applied fresh thermal compound, put back the processor and the battery and got the message "CMOS failure... time not set...", which is a good sign. As expected, I have seen this message every time I clear the CMOS by removing the battery.

But then nothing happens once more, and I'm back to the starting point. :(

Just for the records: when I try to boot, I don't see the "F2 / F7 / F10" message, only the Intel logo. But, when I try to use the "Back to Bios" button, I see the "F2 / F7 / F10" message. And if I try to boot three times in a row with the "Back to Bios" button turned ON, I get the standard message "it's not working so you must turn off the bloody button etc."

Also, the code 00 15 Exit early platform init driver appears as soon as I turn on the PC. BUT, when I try to use the "Back to Bios" button, I see a lot of codes in rapid succession (as it should happen in a normal boot).

Everything in the motherboard is working, but the motherboard itself is not working.

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Is the motherboard still mounted in the case?
    Take it out & try again on your bench. Check the mounts. Perhaps there's 1 in the incorrect position causing a short...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Those MB Testing Cards may works with different procedures!

What Flipp3r told could be! Maybe there's is a 'short' from MB to Case?! Could also be a faulty 'Grounding' of your Power, if you've any grounding!!

And, as I wrote, it could be a faulty Chipset!

If that MB is just 2 years old, you still have a total of 3 Years warranty on it, therefore: back to the seller!

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    From what I've been reading, people have had this problem (or a similar problem) and it almost always ended up being bad ram.
    The other is not having the secondary power connector attached to the mobo.

What concerns me is the fact that you found garbage in the Hard drive list. That would suggest a chip failure or static damage to me.

I'd do what Flipp3r said and pull the MoBo from the case if you can. Start with the obvious things first.

@Pisthai: I remember building one of those cards when the PC used the AT bus :)

9. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    No way... Imagine a mobo that gives 5 years of warranty in USA and Europe: the same mobo gives just 1 year in my country.

Yep. Most probably. :rip:

I will follow Flipp3r's advice and try to turn it on outside the case with a spare PSU.

Thank you all for the help. I'll be back in a couple of hours or tomorrow.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #11 Joe C, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  11. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I've had a somewhat similar experience with some brand new server boards. I lost two boards before I figured out the brand new Xeon CPU was the culprit. One board worked fine for a day then shut off overnight and never came back to life. The second board bricked as the Xeon completely corrupted the BIOS before I figured it out. If you can get your hands on another CPU, it would be worth trying.

I've never been impressed with Intel branded boards. They lack a certain quality and polish I've gotten used to from brands like ASUS.

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #14 Hadron-Curious, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Change the processor.

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    My understanding is that you possibly used the wrong BIOS update for the system with the wrong processor(CPU). You need to get the right BIOS update and another processor for the motherboard you are using.

14. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    Thank you. This is something I would call "a Curious theory". :)

Agree. I'll keep trying.

Believe me, I know what you mean. Apart from the defective Intel rig, I have three AMD PCs in my house, and three ASUS boards.

I just bought another one. ;)

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    re seat ram and try bios recovery cd with jumper pulled for recovery.
    i fixed once a D945gc or something same thing.. dirty ram contact and bios recovery went wrong.

16. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    It's a good advice, but I did these things already. Take a look at the first post. ;)

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if ram is bad contact, bios recovery fails.. try 1 ram stick at time.

lookup reset AMT password procedure also. just in case.

18. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011