Motherboard will not beep, no video output

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by back, Jun 29, 2014.

1. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    Hello everyone, I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any help with a big problem I'm having with my pc.

I have a gigabyte ga-h81n mini-itx motherboard with an intel xeon e3-1230v3, after installing it and pressing power the power supply and motherboard activate, all case/heatsink fans activate and hard drives spin up but I have the following problems:

-No bios/post screen
    -No motherboard beep, can't even get an error beep no matter what I try
    -Nothing shows on screen, my 78 pound :eek: trinitron CRT says NO SIGNAL when I put the VGA cable in either input
    -PC is effectively and entirely unusable

Full specs
    -Gigabyte ga-h81n motherboard (socket 1150)
    -Xeon e3-1230 v3
    -Evga Hadron Air mini itx case
    -Kingston HyperX 8gb ddr3 1600mhz

-two hard drives but not connected to motherboard so they shouldn't conflict

Possible issues
    - The xeon processor I'm using is incompatible with my motherboard or not inserted correctly (though I do believe that would result in some sort of beeping am I correct?)
    - The motherboard is likely not dead the one I am using is a replacement motherboard as I thought the last one was dead, exact same problems have persisted despite replacement
    - The RAM is faulty (though when I remove it the computer goes through an infinite restart loop so I believe it is detected and works)
    - The power supply is faulty in some way (is there a simple way to check)

Why doesn't it beep or post? Aren't all motherboards supposed to beep? What should I do?

Thank you very much :)

2. macasjr

macasjr MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2010
    Hi, you need to disconnect everything and start again, when the mboard doesn't beep, something isn't working... Most of the times, its the memory...
    Look for the mboard manual if that memory and chip are compatible, after that try again or borrow some chip and memory and try again... It's a common error when you are installing a new mboard with older hardware...
    That's why its allways good to sell everything and start again from scratch...

3. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    Finding a new ram stick would be difficult, I bought the RAM alongside all of the other components and I would have to buy one, I can try having it replaced but it will take some time, does anyone have other suggestions?

4. jimpz

jimpz MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    Your motherboard may *NOT* have a built in speaker, many do not & one usually needs to be purchased for $5-$10.
    According to Gigabyte you CPU is compatible.

5. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    A problem that I have is that I can't even find a connector for a speaker, do you know what the input for one looks like?

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Normally it's part of the panel where you also connect power switch, reset switch, hdd led and those :g:. Should be mentioned in boards manual :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Good chance of a broken socket pin or a faulty socket on LGA. Looks a lot like motherboard RMA time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    I already RMA'd the motherboard and I'm having the exact same problems:confused::mad:

9. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Have you tried test running it all outside of the case? Lay as much of the computer parts on static free surface, plug it all up and start it. If it runs then your case could be causing a short.

10. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    And the motherboard may be playing dead, because of the RAM contacts not lining up with the RAM sticks correctly, even when you pressed them down and heard 2 clicks.

SOB! The RAM slots are like that on both my Asus P5QL Pro and Asus Maximus II Gene.

11. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    #11 back, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    (OP)
    Do you think there is a possibility that the bios displays default on DVI? I don't have any DVI monitors but it is something I might be able to check. I would think that a BIOS or UEFI would prioritize VGA but maybe I've been out of the PC building scene for too long. What do you guys think?

This is important as the motherboard could have been outputting DVI the whole time and I would have no way of knowing :(

12. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    Wouldn't the hard drives not spin up and the cpu fan not work if there was a short of some kind?

13. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    The motherboard has three different video connections. Try some other with only a tested bootable copy of Puppy Linux, Pated Magic, Ubuntu, UBCD or the like. Or maybe DOS USB drive....
    I agree with splaying parts about to test shorting issues: I use the same method on every laptop before reassembly.
    Hope ya get it figured. I for one would like to know the outcome.

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Ive seen bad cpu give no beep.does it have onboard video also?. Try that first

15. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Your CPU does not have a built-in GPU. You need to use a different processor or install a video card.

16. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    If my motherboard doesn't have any onboard video, why would it have video outputs? Are you sure that there are motherboard would rely on the processor for that:eek:

Sorry for asking all these questions but if I have to buy a new card or cpu I want to be sure

17. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010

Yes ME, the motherboard does have "cpu dependent video" you dunce.

This is embarassing, problem hopefully solved I need to get a gpu. Thank you so much for your help and insights everyone so sorry for wasting your time.

18. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    No problem. Had I seen your post earlier, I would have been able to help sooner.

Also, if you decide to switch to a CPU with built in graphics and want to use pure UEFI, you will probably need to use one of the digital outputs. Every Intel motherboard with AMI BIOS I have used does not like to output to the VGA dsub connector when CSM is disabled. But if you enable CSM, the VGA connector will work. I hope that makes sense.

19. back

back MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    100% working, thanks everyone