mouse internals/electronics replacement

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by IGraham, Nov 10, 2015.

1. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hi
    i have a bamboo/wooden mouse (plastic mice make my fingers sore ?)
    - like this on ebay '2.4GHz Bamboo Wireless USB Receiver Optical Mice Mouse For Desktop PC Laptop'
    The internals/electronics are acting up.

Does anyone know if the internals/electronics from a cheaper mouse would be a direct replacement.
    Yes i know its only £10 but seems a waist of a perfectly good wooden mouse body to just junk it

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @IGraham: Direct replacement? Possible but not likely. You might be able to adapt the electronics of another wireless mouse to retrofit, but it will take some experimentation.

Please keep us posted if you attempt to do this, and let us know how you fare.

Best of luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #3 Antilope, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It's important to remember that not all "optical" mice are fully optical. Some use a hall-effect sensor and a permanent magnet. Kensington track balls use this for the scroll ring.

Also, the slightest misalignment in an optical system will cause problems.

Take a look at the videos that Antilope posted. Try the things suggested. If it works, then all is good.

If not, then please post detailed pics of the electronics in your mouse.

Someone will try to help.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Another approach: perhaps you could find someone to cover a plastic mouse with something exotic - snake skin, shark skin, alligator. (Wow, I hope someone doesn't make a million dollars on Kickstarter using my brilliant concept).

6. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    LOL

:Lighten:

< wonders if furry mice would sell >

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #7 Joe C, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Animal activists would like to have you on their blacklist with those. :biggrin:

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012

but we are trying to save the mouse - mouses - mice!!

10. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    I've had the mouse trap out but the furry mice (rather than the wooden) aren't biting - got a m8 whos done a bit of (crap) taxidermy was going to get him to stuff it.

It was/is the left click thats giving problems
    I did track down the manufacturer and seller but neither are replying to emails so finding out exactly which type of electronics is fitted isn't possible.
    Have looked on ebay, most mice have photos of the bottom but cant see one that looks the same, i shall continue looking but if the price isn't cheep then replacing becomes a little pointless.
    Probably end up buying another wooden mouse

And thanks for the replys people - yes i know, i can be a tad lax replying (hangs head in shame)