Move Windows 10 license from OEM noebook to generic desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by watmagi, Feb 13, 2018.

1. watmagi

watmagi MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2011
    I have a new notebook that came with windows 10 preinstalled. I am going to do a fresh install of Ubuntu over its Windows. Is it possible to extract the SLP 3.0 information from the notebook BIOS and build a custom BIOS for a generic desktop MB so that I can install and activate Win10 on the desktop?

--thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    MSDM Key is system specific.

You still can establish free HWID's for 10.

3. watmagi

watmagi MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2011
    Does that mean install and activate Winows 7 on the machine and then upgrade to Windows 10? Do you need to install Assistive Technologies in Windows 7 before upgrading?

Is the idea that each computer results in a unique HWID through some unknown algorithm and if you activate that HWID through the free upgrade program, it will be activated for the life of that HWID? But for a computer that never activates its HWID, it will eventually not be able to get a valid OEM activation?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You never had to use the assistive tech, all upgrade options (ISO/USB/DVD) will give you a free digital license, and yes, it's for the lifetime of the hardware (mobo/lan in general). When the HWID is linked to a MSA you can move it to other hardware or when the current hardware is changed you can use the linked HWID to re-activate.

5. watmagi

watmagi MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2011
    thanks. very nice of you to respond so quickly.