Moving a BitLocker-encrypted installation to a new drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wonderwall, Apr 4, 2018.

1. wonderwall

wonderwall MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    I currently have Windows 10.0.16299.309 installed on a 1 TB SSD, and it is encrypted using BitLocker. I currently have 341 GB of files on the C:\ partition.

I want to move my installation to a new 500 GB NVMe drive while keeping data on disk encrypted at all times. Does anyone know how to do this?

It seems a raw copy would work if I was moving to a drive of the same or larger size, and I know how to move the installation over without using encryption.

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    There is no disk partitioning tool I know of that can resize an encrypted disk partition. It must be unlocked first so that the disk partitioning utility can recognize and then modify the underlying file system. If for some reason you cannot unlock the partition, then you're stuck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Thumbs up for using Macrium Reflect. A great tool for imaging and cloning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Macrium has never disappointed - their enterprise backup software and client backup software are all fantastic.

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    That is a great tool.