Moving all computer data to windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by juanmanuelsanchez, May 18, 2022.

1. juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Hi all !

So I have a very old computer. On W10 and I just go a mini pc with windows 11 pro.

Now... I need to move all data (programs, files, settings, etc) to the new PC. This pc even handles administrative software for the company. So a full reinstall its a pain in the...

Is there a way to do it? If so please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Pure physically, of course, you can, but some Windows 10 settings aren't available in any way in Windows 11. Therefore, it is not wise to transfer all settings one by one. Also, you cannot transfer all drivers one by one, because you have two different computers and at least some drivers doesn't fit..
    If you transfer registry settings, you're sure to have a lot of problems later, so it's a good idea to reinstall all your drivers, programs, and other apps on a clean disk. You can only transfer/keep your files and folders and other personal data, but not Windows all components and settings and drivers. And believe, that this is the fastest way to get a new and completely clean and functional computer with fully clean and functional content.
    Personally, I am such a lazy person that I would do an absolutely clean installation anyway. In any case, it is the fastest and most secure way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
  5. jcc2

jcc2 MDL Member

Mar 23, 2010
    #5 jcc2, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    If you are OK with staying in Windows 10 in your new PC, you can try using one of the the many available backup software's that allows you to restore a backup to a different PC hardware wise. Tried this myself with a Windows 10 PC that died on me a couple years ago.

Obviously you would need to do a full backup of your new PC's Windows 11 and additional software (just in case things go south) and also a full backup of your Windows 10 PC that would be the one "restored" to the new PC.

My 2 cents....

Good luck and take care

JCC2

6. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Excuse me, it's a very Bad idea
    Move old junk into new computer
    Just do fresh Install
    Install only necessary apps

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I do some pc servicing for a local butcher and his pc is connected to the scaling and cash register systems, i can imagine in some scenarios that just creating a full system (drive) backup and restoring it to a new pc is the easiest way to achieve the transfer.

For people who know what to do all options are open.

8. naxal

naxal MDL Member

May 15, 2014
    Hello,

This process is a life saver with so many legacy programs that are no longer available / supported and have cost effective replacement. Specially for a running business, new software system implementation is just nightmare. Staff training itself is a costly challenge.

However, the OP wants to Migrate from his Running Windows 10 OS to New PC Windows 11 OS. Hard disk cloning would replacement the Windows 11 with Windows 10 :p

Thanks.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And when done, upgrade to 11?

There is no software that migrates all installed stuff only, not that i am aware of,

And let's hope the legacy programs can run on 11.

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I've done this a few times. More or less you clone the entire existing drive to a new drive (then expand the partition because its likely a larger drive), install the clone into the new PC, boot it (hopefully this works, usually does if its Windows 10), install the latest drivers and then upgrade to Windows 11. This is "safe" since you cloned the original drive and it will remain as a perfectly intact backup.

This works better if the new and old systems are similar as in same CPU, GPU and motherboard manufacturer but other hardware is also important. This also works better if you uninstall as much as you can first. For example any software you don't need or can easily reinstall should be removed. Same goes for any drivers for hardware that does not exist in the new system. Any OEM software specific to your machine needs to go. For example if the old system is an HP, all HP software should be uninstalled before you make the clone.

As others have said though, this is not the recommended way to do this. A fresh install will always lead to the best stability.

You mentioned the old PC being very old. For this reason alone I would not migrate this existing install to new hardware. You can probably make it work, but probably is not good enough for a system you do actual work on.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The actual OP has not been here for almost 3 weeks;)

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    But others are going to consider this, especially given that TPM is going to stop a lot of actual direct updates to Windows 11. I consider replies being to both OP and anyone with the same question in all cases.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Others are going to consider to migrate only installed programs? This is not possible.

TPM requirement is so easy to circumvent and at some stage old hardware is just to old or to low specs to properly run 11.

14. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    The Simplest, but by No Means Guaranteed way would be to just put a 1 to 1 copy of the original system drive into the new machine and see if it takes.
    Windows 10 is not as stupid as older versions of Windows and I have successfully done this a number of times. Even swapping from and AMD based machine to an Intel machine with no issues.
    DO NOT use your original system drive in the attempt. Use a drive copy program and attempt it on the copy. Best case is it works and you just have to call Microsoft and tell them you replaced the motherboard to get your license activated. At worst you are where you started.