Moving server 2008R2 + exchange to new hardware

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Deadringers, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Deadringers

Deadringers MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi all,

So I currently have setup on a VMware install my server.
    2008R2 running exchange.

It works fantastically and I got the owa, autodiscover and all relevant SSL certs installed.

However now that I got it all installed and working nicely I want to move it all over to dedicated hardware as I plan to run it 24/7.

So how would I go about doing this?

I want the new hardware to run what I currently have but utilizing the extra ram and hard disk space available to it.

Thanks in advance :)

Josh

2. Deadringers

Deadringers MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    140 views and no replies?

I will be starting on this tonight when I get back home so would appreicate some help.

I shall be doing the following:
    Installing 2008r2 on the new box.
    Joining it to the domain as a DC.
    Installing exchange as it is on the current machine.
    Setting up the send/receive connectors and other exchange parts etc.
    Migrating the mailboxes / database across.
    Turning off the old Server to allow the new one to "take over".

Is that about it?

3. Deadringers

Deadringers MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    oh and of course I will have to update the SSL cert with the new machine :)

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    If you still plan on migrating from VMWare to dedicated hardware; In VMWare, I would recommend doing a full server imaging backup. When you migrate to your new hardware, Start up from a Windows Server 2008 R2 disc and restore the image to your new hardware. You would have to uninstall VMWare tools also after your restore is complete and you will have to set up your physical NICs with all the right static IP's and subnet masks though which can be a pain and cause a hassle with Exchange 2007 but non the less can be done. If you already have it connected to other DomainControllers, I would delete the Server you had in VMWare out of their Active Directory so your new dedicated hardware could join successfully to you other domains.