Moving to SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lenster, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Lenster

Lenster MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    I have Win 7 installed on a 300G Raptor. Partition 0 is the boot partition (without the 200mb recovery partition). The drive also has multiple other partitions for data, programs etc.

I am waiting for a Kingston 64G SSD to arrive and I will make that my boot drive. It will only have the Windows partition on it. I currently use Acronis TI 2010 to backup all my partitions individually and have read all the verbage about partition alignment if I try to restore only the Win 7 partition to the SSD, so I will opt for a fresh install. My question is; Do I have to install Win 7 on the SSD and allow it to create the recovery partition or can I partition the entire SSD with one partition only which will prevent the creation of the recovery disk. And oh by the way, is anyone using Acronis to image an SSD and can verify that the restore works?

Thanks

Len

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    No - you don't have to create the hidden system partition - I am not even sure it will try to as I can't remember if I installed to free space or a partition - suffice it to say mine doesn't have the hidden system partition.

Yes, Acronis successfully images SSDs and restore works - you can verify for yourself by creating system backup and converting to a Windows backup on another drive, use Acronis boot manager function to add the Windows backup image to your start menu and boot from the image file - it runs like a regular system but a bit slow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lenster

Lenster MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks.
    As far as I can tell, if you install to free space, you get the recovery partition. If you install to an existing partition, you don't.

About Using Acronis, I read that if you make an image of a Win7 partition (not a whole disk)
    on an HDD and try to restore it to an SSD, you wind up with an alignment problem which has a significant impact on performance. But I would guess that you could make an image of an SSD Win7 partition and restore it to an HDD it would be alright.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    If you install Windows 7 to free space on a hard disk it will create the 100 mb system partition. I thought I installed to free space on my SSD but can't be sure - but windows recognizes SSDs now and it might not create the system partition - I can't be sure and I'm not gunna trash my system just to check it out.

I would definetely clean install to an SSD.

Restoring the image works fine - I stuffed something up last week on my system but had an image of the system just before I broke it - restored the system to the SSD fine..

The trick of booting from the VHD image created when you convert an Acronis image is worth doing to ensure you have a good backup - save the image to your other drive and use Acronis to add it to your boot menu and test it - if it boots to a working OS you know youi have a reliable backup.

5. Lenster

Lenster MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks very much

6. ahyanglf

ahyanglf MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2010
    I only use Acronis to partition.

but ahout image ,I suggest that windows its-slft can do it !

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Since you guys use SSD's is there a seeable difference between a raid or 2 drives and 1 SSD....
    Cause I'm thinkin about getting one I just wanna know if it is worth the expense....

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    With SSD as your OS drive boot time is around 15 - 20 seconds, id say its worth the expense. :D

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #9 Rosco, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    A good SSD is so much faster than any raid setup you'll wonder why you ever thought raid was a good idea.

The read and write speeds of a SSD are much higher - usually double of any mechanical drive BUT it is the access time that is the real killer - SSD are like 70 - 100 times faster at accessing data (0.1 millsec or less versus 7 milliseconds for a good mechanical drive) - combine that with the speeds and mechanical drives simply can't keep up.

Make sure you get a second generation one though or you'll be disappointed - read up on which ones to get.

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ok thanks for the info cause I was going back and forth on a SSD and Raid hmmm raided ssd's maybe when I have the money lol

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    This pertains to Windows 7 specifically how???? Misplaced post, or ???

12. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    TRIM baby TRIM

Windows 7 has this special feature built into it but I'm sure you already knew this.

BTW,how many people do you know that bought an SSD to use with a different OS?

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #14 911medic, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Mac and Linux?

maybe this should be in the hardware thread...that was my point..

14. caquito1100

caquito1100 MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
  15. poedoom

poedoom MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2007
    ahci must be enabled in your bios for trim support to work also make sure your ssd has the latest firmware update m8 ive been running ssd for a while now and could never go back to normal hdd,s....Note if you enable ahci in your bios and get a bsod while installing w7 then this is more than likely you ssd firmware when you update the ssd firmware it also updates your ahci controller on your ssd well this is how it worked for my samsung anyroad i used to get a bsod b4 the firmware upgrade hope this info helps if you run into any probs

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    This is not a lottery forum for goodness sake....
    Please do not post ads on it its here for providing answers and knowledge....

Getting on with it I don't think I can get an SSD simply because of the price point....
    It cost about 100 dollars to 120 dollars to Raid a couple of 500 GB drives...
    And the cost of a SSD is about 120 and thats just for the 40 GB model....
    Maybe when it gets down a reasonable amount I'll give it a shot sadly enough