Mozilla to remove themes from Firefox

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ausernamenoonehas, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    This is a C&P from another forum that I thought was interesting ...

"As was pointed out to me on IRC it's now confirmed: Mozilla's decision has been made to remove support for Themes from Firefox (and potentially derivative products as a result).

Benjamin Smedberg wrote: "As part of Firefox great-or-dead, we've decided to stop support for "heavyweight" themes which can do arbitrary styling and replace chrome packages."

You like your Noia, FT DeepDark and similar themes for your browser? Sorry if you're using Firefox (and direct clones) -- once this lands, support for what Mozila calls "heavyweight themes" will be gone. You'll have the Mozilla way (maybe with custom toolbar backgrounds AKA personas AKA lightweight themes) or the highway to choose from."

:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I hate all these "make it simpler" changes in Firefox over the years, I really do!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's maybe the only way for to keep the speed of the browser?!

Fact is, speed is essential for any apps be classified as GOOD! You could see that in many apps, starting from the OS'es! Special for apps, which are Freeware, to stay compepetive, menas they must be simply fast, or they're on the lose! Even Freeware cost money for be developed and serviced, and the developer also need to have some income, etc., etc.!

On the end of the day, even while using Freeware, the user have to pay for it, in which way ever: Speed, Performance and, and, and!

4. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #4 thorin0815, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Firefox looks and feels more and more like Chrome and crap bloated Chrome is even faster in my experience. Why should people stay with Firefox? Look at the market share for browsers, Firefox lost a huge ammount of users in the last years because of their "make it simpler" politics. If there are no differences beween Chrome and Fox, why should people stay with the Fox? I don't want to use another Chrome clone, I want my highly customizable Firefox where I HAVE THE CONTROL over my browser and not vice versa.

At least there are people who make great addons like Classic Theme Restorer to bring back the control of old times.

5. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    I'm looking into trying PaleMoon. Anyone used it - what's your thoughts? Apparently PaleMoon won't be affected by the changes, and will allow custom themes.

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I use Pale Moon exclusively now, and removed FireCrap from all my PCs. I don't know about the themes and such, I just set it up the way I like it and have at it.

I can say that it is a hell of a lot faster than FireCrap.

7. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    WOW! You said it was fast, but it really is fast!

I still have Firefox installed and have been testing between the two. Oh and I've added all my bookmarks, add-ons and pretty much made the two identical. Pale Moon is a lot faster. Really happy I got every single add-on that I use working with Pale Moon, that's a massive PLUS!

Strangely I haven't tried any themes as it completely (straight out of the box) matches my current set up, which is really surprising. My Linux Mint theme is Delorian-Dark as I like dark themes, and the browsers colors match perfectly. A very pleasant surprise :biggrin:

8. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    WHAT? Looks like the way where the Firefox is heading now is becoming like Netscape II. I use Pale Moon and CyberFox. Both are great.

9. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    The mozzila way, lol, hmmm it reminds me of some other web browser *cough*ChrOpera*cough*

Switched to Firefox because of the change made by Opera, to ChrOpera, where customization isn't a thing apparently, fortunately with Firefox there's things like Classic Theme Restorer and other alike.

Speaking of customization, check out Otter Browser, the project is still very young, and it promises. And theme support (at least old opera themes) is on the list.

10. sumax

sumax MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2011
    time to stop using Firefox. They never listen to what user want, I can't wait till firefox user < 10% :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Hoppyah

Hoppyah MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    try cyberfox

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Mozilla are really trying their hardest to get people to move over to another browser

I might just oblige, it's gone to sh*t since they forced Australis on us with FF29+

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    1. Internet Explorer
    2. Google Chrome
    3. Opera Browser
    4. Safari Browser

All these use to have theme support, but ditched it for stability and performance. This may be an unpopular move for those who like to skin stuff, but it is a step in the right direction.

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You are only delaying the inevitable.

Both projects are dependent completely on Mozilla and only tweak what has been released. Eventually you will need to accept that Chromium engine is the preferred engine for Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox. Or you can embrace Microsoft Edge which is the only browser / app going an independent route.

p.s. I loved Netscape :p

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I will never use a Chromium or IE based browser.

And while Palemoon started as a fork, it is now an independent project. Note the complete lack of the ugly Australis, you can't tweak that monstrosity out when using current Fx sources.

16. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    I'm sorry but it's not the right direction, web browsers are now becoming something for old people to use (as in, here it's ready to go) and the folks that want/need the web browser with a certain layout are forgotten. The thing I loved about the old Opera was the freedom of customization, it allowed users to set the browser the way they wanted in order to improve productivity, and without the need of 3rd party options (addons/extensions). Chrome ≠ Performance. They're trying to make the most simplistic web browser, yet they fail when it comes to performance. Firefox is heading the same way apparently. I have never been a fan of neither Firefox nor Chrome, but I was forced to go with Firefox since ChrOpera appeared, as a result to replicate the almost exact layout of what I had with Opera (layout not design) I have to use multiple addons. I don't care how ugly the browser might be, for me it can look like something taken out of windows 95, all I want is something that allows me to change whatever I want.

This is the thing that really makes me look at Otter Browser and help improve it, the freedom of customization is just amazing, and I seriously hope they can get to the same level of acceptance of Firefox/Chrome by the users.

17. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Seems everything now is being made purely 'consumer-friendly' rather than giving those of us with longer attention spans what we need (/want).

Well thanks to this thread, I've now discovered Pale Moon and have spent an hour configuring it. It's now how I used to have FF, before the recent rubbish changes, but even better. Compact, little wasted screen space, fast, and does everything the way I like it.

Most of my usual extensions still work, and the few that don't I've found alternatives for. Bye-bye Firefox!

An yeah, I used to like Netscape also, in the early days.

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Best of the breed of Mozilla based browsers!