MS Office alternatives that display documents 1:1 to MS Office?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by MonarchX, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have MS Office 2013 and its nice and all, but it feels as if it lowers boot times and overall PC performance right after its installation, even if you install all the updates. I try to stay away from MS as much as possible, with except for Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1, which does rock.

The issue I had with other DOC/DOCX file openers and editor is that the final product, like Resume, would not look the same on computer that do use MS Word. Having a single item extend into the next page on your Resume while it should stay on the first page is already a deal-breaker. Google Docs, for example, does not display my Word files the same way that MS Word 2013 would... I am looking for alternatives that would make my document edits look identical for MS Office users and for me, using whichever program I would be using to make those edits. I mostly need one as a Word replacement, but Excel, and PowerPoint would be welcome also. And no, WordPad is NOT going to cut it. Something portable that doesn't need a bunch of space or overtakes your PC would be great! FREE is what I am looking for, but it its cheap and it delivers - I might settle for that too!

Thanks!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Office 2010 Starter??

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I already have MS Office 2013 and I can select to install only Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. MS Office likes to overtake your PC somewhat and it needs a ton of updates, etc. I want to create a WORD document using a simpler WORD-like editor, save my file, send it to someone who would open it with MS Office 2013 and see it EXACTLY as I saved it, with exactly the same formatting. Google Docs cannot do that... what can?

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Note on Apache OpenOffice: "The applications themselves look and feel much like the pre-ribbon Microsoft Office (they will open most Office documents, too, although the original formatting isn't always preserved)."

Deal-breaker... I need it to be preserved 1:1.

5. smlm17

smlm17 Guest

Kingsoft Office Suite is a choice!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    today i had to try both office free suites for a .wps file and neither worked..turns out the older .wps aren't compatible with word or similar progs... has to be wordperfect

7. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    #8 trungpt, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dr.Bender

Dr.Bender MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    Have you tried Open Office? It's free. Or Libreoffice it is lighter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. NokTham

NokTham MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    Check SoftMaker Office, been working with it for some time, and so far it has been an awesome alternative to MS Office.

10. hanni.mannimeter

hanni.mannimeter MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    Hey,

I work a lot with office and I kinda cant understand how it could have slowed your pc down that significantly.
    Especially with office 2013. I would never want to trade office for anything. Once you know all its features..

Anyhow, office has a lot of feature, you might be best of with thinking about not installing all of them.
    Like onedrive, lync, onenote, office tools..
    The others I really dont see a lot of performance hit on boot time

Kind regards

11. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #12 CODYQX4, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

12. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    There is no such alternative that can do 1:1. The closest you'll get is WPS office suite, formerly Kingsoft Office. All other office suites aren't even close to WPS in terms of compatibility with MS Office.

13. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Softmaker is better in my humble opinion:g:

14. mr01

mr01 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    You should downgrade back to office 2007. I'm currently using that instead of Office 2013 and it works great. Office 2013 was slow to boot up for me as well and it didn't help that it had some background tasks running which makes it even slower. Office 2007 feels lean and mean. The applications uses around 5 to 10mb and loads up super fast.

15. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015

Yep, same here, if I use an Office product from MS, it's the 2007 versions, works great, and it's pretty lightweight compared to newer versions.