MS pushing OEM crapware on upgrades

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bezalel, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #1 Bezalel, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Uninstall the app? Seriously, it's one f**king click. It's for novice users and there is nothing f**king wrong with it, it's harmless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I know you do not like value added software, but it serves a purpose.

As its name implies, value added software is added by OEMs to subsidize the overhead costs of the computer. Some of those savings are passed on to you at time of purchase. If you notice, the so-called 'Signature' line of computers that Microsoft promotes as lacking value added software are often quite a bit more expensive than an equivalent from Lenovo, etc that has value added software bundled.

From what I have seen, the value added OEM software for Windows 10 is not very intrusive at all.

4. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Sure, it starts out harmless until some OEM pushes Superfish or XCP to their hardware.

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    guys is always been like that HP, dell, Lenovo their OEMs are full of junk software just removed them and thats it.

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Unplug the network cable and re-install. Tell me if it returns.

7. si347

si347 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    But, if you did a fresh win10 install after upgrading, those crappy apps would persist or not?

8. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I started with a fresh Windows 7 install, activated with SLP, then upgraded to 10 logging in with my local account created in Windows 7. At this point Windows started installing OEM apps. After activating and letting WU get all updates and drivers, I reset the PC and connected my MS account. So far I'm not seeing the OEM apps, Maybe it's once per system or maybe it's limited to local accounts (or maybe I just didn't wait long enough).

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    in OEM version maybe:rolleyes:

10. R4zTa

R4zTa MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2012
    Bezalel, you need to go to System Properties -> Hardware -> Click Device Installation Settings and set never to install driver software from
    Windows Update.
    I always need to set that setting because Windows detect my hp network printer and auto install the crap software

11. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Nah, that's lame, corporate, statist propaganda. That's the same kind of commercialized corporate propaganda that has reduced free citizens to describing themselves as "consumers". ("Consumers" are brainless worms with a mouth at one end and an anus at the other, and one is usually eating what has come out the other end of another.)

It is healthy to recognized the LONG HISTORY of the corporate usurpation of individual rights and freedoms in the middle of the computers that people own and pay for. I own every single 1 and 0 on my hard drive and by having their software on my computer, all manufacturer's have agreed to my EULA and have given me free license to do whatever I want with those 1's and 0's, and if they don't like my terms and conditions, for a reasonable fee I will be glad to remove their software from my computer. All they have to do is call, or send me an e-mail.

So this notion that we should all allow you to poo-poo and over generalize and proffer meaningless blandishments over technological usurpations that 99% of people (probably including yourself) are completely unaware of.

Strange people come inside your house in the middle of the night and do things while people are asleep, and YOU say "it's not that big of a deal" and imply that anyone that objects is over-reacting in some way. I say you are the weirdo; willing to allow "just anyone" to do "just anything" to something that you aren't even certain that you actually own. Admit it, at core you are just glad they allow you the privilege of doing what you do with whatever it is that they let you use, and you'd be grateful if they took most of that away and left you the scraps to play with. At least you'd have THAT, you'd say, and look with glaring daggers at anyone that complained.

This is the same personality archtype that says "Well, if you aren't doing anything illegal, then you won't mind submitting to the search, now would you?" the natural result of corporate programming, malware once it infects the human mind eventually breaks down all critical systems and subordinates them all to the control of whoever has the access codes.

12. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    The Dell app was installed when I upgraded Win 7 Pro, it was not installed when I did a clean install on the same hard drive/machine.

13. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    It's normal that the companies install software to the computers. In my case, Dell install me only one metro app that I uninstalled very faster. The name is: Dell: Welcome to Windows 10

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  16. November_Zulu

November_Zulu MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015

17. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    KNOWLEDGE IS THE WEAPON HERE! Not any wild conspiracy theories. I seldomly feel uncomfortable.

18. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    The description for the HP Explore app seems to confirm that.

19. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Conspiracy theories aside, I think his posting is going in the right direction. If you buy such a computer you'll end up with loads of bloatware no one really needs or wants. I've spent quite some time helping friends getting rid of this preinstalled nonsense. First you tell them to configure their own computer which they consider but in the end the run to the next cheap shop and get such a pre-bloated machine... I'm using Linux and the laptop I recently bought I ordered without any OS to avoid exactly this "bloating". You just get what you want/decide to, and nothing else.

And, please avoid the f-word... be it with * or without. Thanks.

20. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012